Chapter 3 - A Promise

Julian

They were being chased.

Alina and Julian flew their Pegasi to their limits as they passed above another stretch of woods, the sounds of their panting breaths drowned amid the vigorous flapping wings and slapping winds.

"Hurry! Dive into the woods!" Julian ordered as he tugged Nina's reins and dived downwards, followed by Alina. He did not heed the branches that slapped against his face or tore against his clothes. But he could not stand Alina's whimpers and gasps of pain as they flew with full force into the thick woods.

"Hold on my love! We have to keep going. We must lose them!" He tried to encourage her. He looked above his shoulder several times to check if they were still being followed. Then he realized with horror that the guards must have flown above the trees, probably reaching ahead of them too. They might as well be waiting for them up there when they reemerged at any point. Or perhaps they distributed themselves above the woods, scanning the trees for any sign of movement beneath. Julian could not believe he had done such a fatal mistake, trapping himself and Alina inside the woods, waiting for the hovering guardsmen to attack them at any time. He lowered his Pegasus to the ground and came to a sudden halt. Alina followed his example with horror stricken eyes.

"We are being surrounded." He whispered as he listened carefully for any sounds. He quickly dismounted his Pegasus as he saw Alina's eyes watering and her lips quivering. No, they both couldn't break down now. He quickly pulled her down and took her in his shaking arms. He could sense her whole body shaking too. And heavy muffled sobs escaped her. A soreness rose in his throat as well.

"Hush, don't cry." He soothed her, trying not to fall apart himself. He didn't want her to sense his fear. He must remain strong, for her sake. "Listen to me." He said in a serious tone as he held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. "We have to distract them. I will fly north, a bit near the surface, and they should follow the sound. I'll lead them as far as possible from you."

"No! No!" Alina panicked. "Don't leave me alone!"

"Don't worry. I will only distract them, and I will join you shortly." Julian assured her.

"No! They will catch you. Don't do this!"

"I have to Alina."

"No! Please stay with me. Let us keep hiding here."

"We can't hide here," Julian said. "If we stay here they will catch us both. Now, as soon as you find them following me, you run deeper west into the woods."

"No! I can't! I can't do this!"

"Yes you can, and you will!" Julian snapped at her. "Do you hear me? You will run, and you will never look back. Do you understand?"

"Please don't leave me!" Alina whimpered in response.

"Hush." He softened his tone as he gently took her in his arms, breathing in her hair before kissing her forehead. "Don't ruin everything now, Alina. We have come this far."

"No Julian! They will catch you."

"They won't. I have no wings, I am much lighter and I will be much faster," he said in a final attempt to convince her, although he was not quite convinced himself, and she only cried in response.

"Alina... Promise me. Whatever happens, you will keep flying and never look back. Keep flying West, and don't ever stop! Promise me you will never fall into Bernard's hands. Do you understand what I'm saying?" He looked deep into her tear soaked eyes as he caught her shoulders, and his own tears threatened to fall as well.

"Promise me!" He shook her. She nodded absently through her tears, and the next moment he grabbed her in his arms, hugging her long and tight, as if it were a farewell hug. Well, perhaps it was. He was not quite confident he wouldn't fall into the guards' hands. But at least Alina must be saved.

"Trust me." He whispered before he took her lips in a passionate kiss. His tears fell involuntarily as he imagined that this might be the last time he kissed her. This might be the last time he touched her and held her in his arms. He indulged in her warmth for those final moments, savoring her sweetness as her lips were locked with his. He quickly pulled away from her lest he changed his mind. She held on to his fingers as he went to mount Nina.

"See you soon," he whispered, trying all he could not to show her his deep anguish and fear. He pulled his fingers away from hers, and new torrents of tears escaped her honey eyes. He turned his face away quickly as he tugged Nina's reins and flew away...

His heart raced as he flew close beneath the surface. And he was right. The guards had been indeed hovering over the woods, waiting for them to come out. He could hear the flapping wings chasing him above. His heart raced madly as he suddenly soared over the forests, putting himself out in full display right before the guards. He flew as fast as he could. The guards followed. All ten of them. Good. That meant Alina would not be followed. 

He flew on without trying to look back. But a little while later, he sensed that the flapping sounds were fading a little. He gave a hesitant look over his shoulder. And to his surprise, he found the guards much further behind than he had thought. It seemed that he was right about being lighter and faster! His hopes rose and he realized that he might be able to lose them and catch up with Alina after all. He was hoping that she had done as he instructed her and took to the West. He kept flying until he lost them. And when he was certain that he was no longer followed he dived back into the forest.

He was flying as fast as he could, turning and maneuvering between the thick trees as he headed back west. He had to catch up with Alina before she could get too far. My sweet heart. She must be crying her heart out, feeling all scared and lonely. He didn't want her to be alone for much longer. I'll catch you soon my love. Julian was panting and so was Nina as he forced her to keep flying at full speed. He was almost back at the spot where he had left Alina, when his heart froze. He gave a sudden fierce tug to the reins, causing Nina who was forced into a sudden halt to neigh out in pain. Damn it!

Far in the distance before him, he could see the winged guards flying in his direction. But there were only five of them, which meant that the other five had probably gone to chase Alina! His heart stopped in horror at the terrible realization. He stood in midair facing the oncoming guards for a moment, not knowing what he should do. Should he turn and fly back from where he just came? Or should he fly through them and go after Alina? But they would definitely catch him if he did so.

Julian quickly turned in a final desperate attempt to outmaneuver them, when he suddenly found another group of five guards emerging from the other side. He froze as this group which had been apparently hiding to ambush him, flew towards him with full force, while the first group was already closing in behind him. He was circled by all ten guards... Good. At least Alina was not being followed.

He had barely reached to the hilt of his sword when he heard a sharp whistling sound, and before he knew it, a sudden force had knocked him forward. He cried out as a searing pain assaulted his right shoulder, and his left hand flew to the arrow that impaled him. He shuddered as torrents of fresh blood seeped through his coat and ran down his right arm. Grunting in pain, he looked up from between the damp disheveled locks that draped his grimacing face, watching the guards as they ominously closed upon him.

******************

What do you think will happen to Julian?

Do you think Alina will be safe?

If you like this chapter, don't forget to comment and vote!