Chapter 41 - Bleeding Mountains

Hans

The Black Islands - Kassarath

Reuben was his name. And he was an assassin.

Hans saw him in his dreams every night. All dressed in black and concealed beneath the midnight darkness. His sharp knife slaughtering his targets with swift effortless swipes. His hissing blade slashing through flesh and bones. Bodies of his victims ripped open, filling the air with the stench of blood and death.

But also every night he saw him fail. Discovered and chased. Guards flying after him as he flapped his white wings through the night, the red moonlight marking his position.

And he saw him die.

Reuben the Killer, I curse thee with the eternal sleep of terror.

The hiss of an ancient curse. The dreadful words drilling through his ears and sweeping over his whole body, sending him aflame with a tremendous amount of pain and terror.

Hans's most dreadful nightmare. Every night, he was trapped inside a monstrous gargoyle, his heart pounding hard against his chest while horror consumed his soul. He was completely aware that he was dreaming, but no matter how hard he struggled, he could never wake up. No matter how much he writhed, his body would never move. No matter how loud he screamed, his voice remained trapped within his throat.

Hans... Hans...

A gentle voice called him through the dark. It was Riki. Hans knew it was Riki. He could clearly hear him. He could even see him. But he still could not wake up. Riki shook him lightly. Hans could feel Riki's hand. But he still could not wake up. He struggled to scream louder, pleading for Riki to save him. But only the faintest hint of a squeak escaped his throat. Riki shook him harder. Harder. And harder.

Hans suddenly snapped as he woke up with a sharp gasp. He quickly sat up in bed, his heart still racing. He panted heavily as he held his hands to his chest, while Riki gently stroked his arm.

"The same nightmare again?" Riki asked as Hans still caught his breath. Hans could only nod in silence, and Riki turned around to light a candle on the bedside table. "It's alright," Riki smoothed Hans's hair, "it's just a dream."

Hans nodded again, although he knew very well it was not just a dream. It was real. Very real. Reuben was real. Hans knew him. He knew him very well. Only he didn't remember when and how they had met.

Hans held his head between both hands and closed his eyes. Reuben the Killer... It was frustrating. Every time his dreams of Reuben stirred those vague memories, something that had happened to him, something that linked him and Reuben together. And every time Hans thought he was finally too close to figure it all out, the vague memories disappeared, as if they never even existed in the first place.

"Are you going to sleep again?" Riki asked. "It's almost dawn anyway."

Hans looked towards the opened window where the white chiffon curtains danced lightly with the soft predawn breeze, and he found that indeed a faint purple hue stained the horizon, announcing the approach of sunrise. Without a word, Hans lay back down in bed and closed his eyes, grateful for Riki's gentle arms that closed around him.

***

Late morning sunlight poured in through the high glass windows, filling the great hall. King Serenus sat comfortably on his tall obsidian throne, shining in his favorite scarlet robes. Hans lay meekly in his lap, soft blonde waves framing his lowered head, while Riki knelt by the King's feet on the floor, his long ebony hair complimenting his pale skin and his sky blue robes.