Chapter 38 - A City of Gold

Alina

The Castle of Grytia

Dark clouds shielded the skies, promising a downpour of heavy autumn rain. Alina looked up at the pale granite walls that marked the castle of Grytia ahead, and she scoffed. It was not as big as the rumors said, not even as big as Nordenvania. And it definitely wasn't painted in gold.

"Do you think Jared misses me as much as I do?" Alexander asked as their carriage approached the castle gates, his silver blue eyes full of doubt. Alina only sighed in response. Alexander had not left her side for the past couple of weeks since they left Vausterland, and he had not stopped whining about how much he could not wait to see Jared.

"I think we'll find out soon," Alina said. "At least you'll stop asking me the same question every hour."

Alexander held on to her nervously when they finally reached the castle. They entered along with the rest of Tristan's household, following Klara and the elders. Most of the servants and entertainers had lived here before, and they whispered excitedly as they walked into the great hall, apparently thrilled to be back. But Alina who had just seen Grytia for the first time only walked quietly, her jaw dropping and her eyes gaping as she looked around her. It seemed that the rumors had been true after all, and that Mira was not exaggerating when she had described the castle to her.

While the castle was not painted in gold on the outside, it definitely was on the inside. Gold engravings covered the cream white walls. Goldthread embroidery adorned the emerald silk tapestries. Gold chandeliers hung down the high domed ceiling. Gold embellished pillars. Gold streaked tiles. Gold framed windows... Gold... Gold everywhere... Alina was so mesmerized by the overwhelming sparkle of gold surrounding her, that she did not notice Tristan and his guards walking their way.

"Papa!" Merina squealed, squirming out of Maude's arms and the next moment she was on the floor, running right into her father's embrace.

"Papa's little princess," Tristan scooped Merina up in his arms, laughing and whirling her around, before he drew her close to his chest.

Alina was just thinking how endearing they looked, when Tristan suddenly turned and looked straight at her. And her heart thumped. The last time she had seen him, he was inexplicably cold, and he hadn't even bothered to look her way. But now he stood before her, his whole attention drawn to no one else but her, with a faint yet recognizable smile on his handsome face.

"Welcome home," he said, his voice gentle and deep, making her insides flutter. She barely had a chance to respond, when she felt Alexander's hold on her arm tightening, to the extent of hurting her.

"Where is... Jared?" Alexander asked, his voice shaking, and Alina realized that Jared was not standing among the winged guards surrounding Tristan.

Tristan only sighed in response, closing his eyes in sorrow. Alina's heart fell, dreading the worst, while Alexander's already pale face turned ghost white, his whole body trembling.

"Come with me," Tristan simply ordered, before he handed Merina back to Maude, and he turned around, followed by a terrified Alexander and an unsettled Alina.

A green glow filled Jared's chamber where faint daylight seeped in through green lace curtains. Alina almost gasped as her eyes fell on Jared. He lay in the middle of a large bed that dominated the relatively small room, thick bandages wrapping every part of his massive body. Only his face was spared, along with his neck, and a few fingers peeking out through the thick cast on his right arm. His body looked so still and limp, and if it weren't for the very faint rise and fall of his chest, Alina would have thought that he was dead.