Chapter 5 - The Beauty is the Beast

Mikal

Vausterland

The cell was small and grim, the stone walls grey and cold. Besides the bed where he was chained, an old table and a wooden chair were the only other available furniture. A barred window set up too high, and small enough to let through a raven or two, was the only source of light and air.

Mikal reached out to an almost empty cup of water on the table next to him. Thankfully the chains had been relaxed a bit, allowing him enough freedom to feed himself and turn in his sleep, but not enough to get off the bed and move around the room. He drank the last drops of water before he leaned back against the headboard, his hand absently reaching to the bandages wrapping half of his face. He took in a ragged breath. No matter how long had passed, his heart still sank every time his hands touched the bandages or brushed against the cropped ends of his hair.

Mikal clenched his fists as he found his hands shaking involuntarily. He had been experiencing a lot of uncontrollable tremors like this since he woke up in this place. He took in a deep breath, trying to calm himself. He had to remain calm. And he had to think clearly. He had to find a way to get himself out of here, alive.

He heard approaching footsteps outside and he did all he could to still his trembling. The loud clank of a key being unlocked was followed by the creak of the opening metal door, and next, the gentle healer with the long black hair entered, a warm smile on her face. Two winged guards accompanied her, as usual, along with a young blonde maid. And finally, Tristan walked in regally behind them with his head raised high, looking all smug and dominating despite his wingless human form. Mikal, doing all he could to appear calm, only narrowed his eye slightly at him.

The healer, Heike, as Mikal had heard her being called, walked to his side and landed a new filled jar of water on the table. She turned to him with a gentle smile while the guards stood closely on alert behind her. Tristan stood a little further with scrutinizing eyes and folded arms, while the blonde maid stood timidly by his side, her hands hidden behind her back.

"I hope you are feeling better today," Heike said. She said that everyday anyway. And every time, Mikal never said anything in response. He only looked ahead blankly, uninterested, as usual.

"I have good news." She continued with the same sweet smile, and Mikal only slightly turned his left eye towards her. Her smile deepened at this merest hint of interest. "Today, we are going to take the bandages off your face."

Fuck.

Mikal did all he could not to panic. His heart raced and his breath grew heavier. For the past few days since he woke up in this cell, he had not yet seen what had happened to his face. There were no mirrors here to begin with. And even when Heike came to change the bandages every day, Mikal was not allowed to touch anywhere near the right half of his face. She had told him this was best for him in order to heal safely and cleanly. And he willingly obeyed her. The last thing he wanted was to end up with a scarred face. Just the thought made him shudder, and he took in another deep breath. But now the time had come, and he would finally discover what lay beneath those bandages.

Mikal closed his eyes as Heike slowly unwound the bandages. His heart raced madly, and his whole body shivered. He opened his eyes slowly when Heike was done removing the bandages. He could see clearly with his left eye now, but his right eye would still not open. He had feared this all along. He raised his trembling fingers to his right eye where he found nothing. He moaned in horror, although he knew what to expect. He traced his shaking fingers along a rugged line, apparently a savage scar that extended from the top of his eyebrow all the way down to his jaw. His chest heaved as he panted for breath, feeling sick to death.