Rain

The massive stone fortresses that traversed the borders of Gaema in Goguryeo and Dong Okjeo loomed high and intimidating, as colossal wooden gates creaked under the combined strength of ten men to allow for the royal entourage to leave Goguryeo's boundaries.

"Make way, make way!"

Authoritative cries, amid the rhythmic clip clop of hooves and rumble of wooden wheels against heated sand and dirt, pierced the hushed silence.

Lining both sides of the dirt path were the inquisitive tribal villagers of Guda, Dong Okjeo.

Mud-stained faces, wearing barely concealed curiosity and apprehension, held eyes which were eagerly observing the entourage and its members.

It was finery like they had never seen; the lacquered wood of the carriage, glistened with polished brass hardware

The metallic armor donned by the leaders of the entourage glinted in the late afternoon sunshine, and even the horses boasted majestic coats that were gleaming beyond imagination.

"Down on your knees! Down on your knees!" The Goguryeo soldiers stationed at the borders barked almost menacingly, as the carriage in which the royal couple were riding gradually approached.

"Did you not hear it? I said, down!" A renewed wave of authoritative shouts punctuated the palpable fear growing among the villagers.

Yejin frowned; the soldiers sounded condescending. It was as if the people of Dong Okjeo were beneath them, and she didn't like the tone of it.

A subsequent grunt of pain and what sounded like a small scuffle was heard, before the crown princess turned to her husband.

"Did you hear-"

He simply nodded, before tilting his head in a slight nod in the direction of the carriage's window.

Lifting the silk curtain of the carriage, what greeted Yejin shocked her into momentary silence.

The agrarian communities of Dong Okjeo, who supposedly consider themselves similar in culture to Goguryeo, were clearly not accustomed to having royal visits.