Grief

"Shall we take a break?"

Stretching her aching back, Yejin nodded in agreement, "Yes, please. I would love to sit down for a while before heading back. Bending down picking herbs the entire time is so much tougher than I had imagined."

Having collected a good variety of spring herbs including wild chives and mugwort, the royal couple decided to reward themselves with much-needed rest.

"Grandma Geum Hee gave me this bag of pine nuts before we set off." The princess said as the royal couple sat themselves down on a fallen log for a break, raising a cloth bag with a bright smile. "She knows I love these."

"That is very kind of her." The Crown Prince smiled at seeing his wife's joy.

"Bin, I have been thinking...eventually, when we return to Goguryeo, is it possible for us to arrange for some gifts to be sent to Grandpa Ho Seok and Grandma Geum Hee?" Yejin asked appealingly, to which Hyun Bin nodded almost immediately.

"That can be easily arranged. What do you have in mind?"

"Thank you for agreeing, I am so glad. Well, I do have some items in mind, such as medicinal ointments and oils from the capital, brass cutlery and some good, warm bedding for them to use in winter." The princess replied, as her fingers busied themselves with undoing the drawstrings on the cloth bag.

Hyun Bin nodded, recalling a recent incident. "I believe Grandpa Ho Seok has a knee ailment, from how he struggles to stand up on the fishing boat. Perhaps we can consult the imperial physicians and send something which can help with his joint aches."

"That is so thoughtful of you." Yejin smiled warmly. "I do hope we can return to Goguryeo soon. It has been so...quiet lately, and I often find myself wondering if it was even alright for us to assume that everything is well."

A moon cycle had slipped by peacefully in perfect contrast to the uneasiness that lingered in Hyun Bin and Yejin's hearts. There were neither signs of anyone searching for them, nor were there fresh news of search areas being widened.

If it was purely Goguryeo's troops seeking them, then there was nothing to worry about. But if it wasn't, then they'd have every reason to hasten their departure. Even at this point, when they were merely collecting herbs, Hyun Bin had one of his swords with him for protection.

"We should start planning our route back to the shared borders between Goguryeo and Dong Okjeo. I will stay up for the next few nights to study the stars and asterisms...hopefully they can guide us back home." The prince added. "We should also inform Grandpa Ho Seok and Grandma Geum Hee of our intention to leave in the near future."

"Let's go with your plans. I know this is going to sound crazy, but while I miss Goguryeo and plan to search for Hyojin once things are settled, I know I miss the life we have here now."

Holding a pine nut between her thumb and the forefinger, Yejin placed gentle pressure on the shell while rolling it, just as how the elderly lady had taught her to.

With a tiny pop, the nut escaped its shell.

"Yes! It's out!" Yejin exclaimed adorably, before picking the shelled pine nut up and holding it in front of Hyun Bin's lips. "Ahhhh."

Smiling endearingly, the Crown Prince tilted his chin in his wife's direction.

"You should enjoy it."

"It's okay, you try it." The princess insisted, holding the nut even closer, to which the prince nodded indulgently and ate the treat off her fingers. "Is it good?"

Yejin instinctively made a move to withdraw her hand, only to be caught by surprise when Hyun Bin gently wrapped his hand around her wrist.

Bringing her hand closer to his lips, the Crown Prince planted featherlight kisses at the cuts, calluses and blisters that the princess' hands had never known prior to this new chapter in Dong Okjeo.