Anything

The princess ran as fast as her heavy winter robes allowed her to, holding up her skirt so as not to trip over the hem.

"There's no place like home." Yejin sighed in pleasure as she sank down onto the plush fur rug at the table in the main hall of their palace. "I can't believe we are finally back."

The way she referred to the Crown Prince's Palace as 'home' brought syrupy warmth to Hyun Bin's heart.

It was hard to imagine that a year ago, everything about Goguryeo, Gungnae, the palace and himself had been living hell to the princess.

It wasn't just living hell to her; it was for him too.

He must have been staring and smiling at her, for Yejin self-consciously sat straighter before motioning for him to sit down at the table.

Bowing respectfully, she said with a serene smile, "Welcome back, Your Royal Highness."

He returned the bow customarily, his mind conjuring up the memory of Yejin dressed in commoner robes, all drenched, disheveled and muddy, standing in the doorway of his room at the governor's manor.

"You brought me home, princess. Thank you, for braving the arduous journey to Jolbon to bring me back here."

Bashfully, Yejin smiled, evading her gaze to settle for staring at the space between them.

"I had to." A heartfelt, feminine smile graced her lips. "This palace isn't home without you."

His eyes softened with emotion, though he was as regal as ever in his posture.

Dressed in finery now that they were back in the palace, she appeared so dainty and elegant, reminding him of a fairy doll.

In that instant, the princess looked nothing like the courageous girl who trudged on in the face of adversity and literally crossed mountains to seek him.

As if he couldn't admire her more, he would have found out from the members of her entourage from Gungnae about how she had not once complained throughout the harsh journey.