Firefly

Nothing had quite been the same in the Crown Prince's palace since news of him leading a military campaign launched by Goguryeo against the nomadic invaders of Khitan Baili clan spread.

Pressing in closer and closer into Goguryeo's boundaries, the Khitans' earlier attempts at invasion at been quelled by resistance from Goguryeo troops.

However, with recent attempts becoming increasingly brutal and brazen, King Daemusin had ordered the annihilation of these nomadic tribes and their camps.

It was a campaign destined to see torrents of blood being shed onto Goguryeo soil.

The Khitan Baili warriors were known for being expert horsemen and archers, with even their womenfolk being capable of hunting on horseback.

Faced with such formidable foes, it came as no wonder that the King would appoint the Crown Prince to lead the calvary of 5,000.

Right now, servants and ladies-in-waiting were busy preparing necessities for the Crown Prince's upcoming campaign, whereas Princess Yejin was still grappling with the harsh realization that it could be weeks or months before she saw her husband again.

Everyone was behaving somewhat awkwardly around the Crown Princess consort, for they knew very well that it was the first time Prince Hyun Bin was leaving on a military campaign since his wedding.

Yet contrary to everyone's logical assumptions that the princess would be extremely worried, Yejin mostly remained in a shocked daze since the day Hyun Bin had told her about his impending departure by the lotus pond.

Apart from her uncharacteristic reaction in asking him to promise to return safely, the princess had been quietly joining in the preparations for his set off.

Needle by needle, Yejin reinforced the bindings between the steel plates of the Crown Prince's navy and gold lamellar armor with cord, working tirelessly until her hands were sore. With each stitch and loop was a silent prayer for his safe return.

(Author's note: Goguryeo armor)

She also prepared medication for Hyun Bin, quietly placing the herbal ointment that he had previously used, into his travel chest among fresh linen bandages and others.

What else could she do?

What was she supposed to do?

Maybe she should speak with him, but from where should she start?

After all these months of being married in name, Yejin found herself increasingly accustomed to having Prince Hyun Bin in her life.

Somehow, a friendship had already blossomed between them.

A very close friendship.

Yet, ahead of his impending departure, she hardly spoke with him.

There were a million words in her mind, yet they could find no avenue to escape to.