Separation

In less than four hours, the Crown Prince would be setting off for the battlefield at the Western Banks of the Liao River, where the Khitan nomadic clans were trying to infiltrate Goguryeo soil.

Yejin tossed and turned in her bed, inevitably suffering yet another long, sleepless night.

It was getting increasingly hard to imagine Hyun Bin's departure, despite there being no real need to, for it truly was happening in hours.

The previous night, they'd have had yet another conversation after a long day of being apart.

He had attended the morning court session, before spending the rest of the day on the archery grounds and the royal stables, kept occupied by the seemingly endless preparation work for the upcoming military campaign.

Yejin had been overseeing the packing of the Crown Prince's necessities onto the horse carriages, ensuring that he would still have whatever was needed while keeping the load minimal.

Finally, when everything was done for the day, Hyun Bin had once again suggested an evening stroll among the summer night's fireflies.

Yejin could not exactly recall how the conversation had gotten to that point, but he had told her about his battlefield experiences.

Enveloped by the midsummer breeze, the young coupled strolled along the gravelly paths.

As in was in the previous day, there were only the occasional oil lamps and fireflies for illumination, against a inky backdrop of balmy pine fragrance.

She would learn that he had led his first campaign at the young age of sixteen against a Baekje invasion attempt, and emerged victorious.

Then, as if the darkness lent her the courage she never knew she held, Yejin quietly asked.

"Your Royal Highness...do you enjoy war?"

Hyun Bin paused in his tracks, turning to look at the princess.

"I don't think I can ever say I enjoy war." He replied truthfully. "There is nothing pleasurable about bloodshed and death. But of course, if that meant safeguarding Goguryeo, then it is necessary."

She did not know what had possessed her then.

"What about senseless massacres of innocent people then?"

Hyun Bin's reply was swift, though his brows were faintly furrowed in confusion. "There is nothing necessary about that. If anything, senseless bloodshed is to be discouraged."

For Yejin, it was a bit too late to stop.

There was a pregnant pause.

"Then...why did you order the massacre at the Nakrang villages bordering Dong Okjeo three years ago?"

The light of the fireflies illuminated the surprise that grew on Prince Hyun Bin's features.

Brows creased, face tense, betraying the surging perplexity within his mind as it raced to recall details of massacres which had occurred at the Nakrang and Dong Okjeo borders.

His eyes, filled with disbelief, were genuinely seeking clarification.

"I have never done anything of that sort." His words left the frozen mask of his face in a controlled, indignant whisper.

All the scenarios she had rehearsed in her mind of this confrontation, if Yejin could even call it one, hadn't included this.

Dumbly, she replied, meeting his eyes with disconcertment in her own. "But...I heard with my own ears that they were acting under Prince Hyun Bin's orders..."