Prologue-Darius

Okay, I had this idea for a while so I decided to update the story on wattpad. This story is not related to the other ones that I've posted, but I hope that you like it as well. This story is different from the others, I hope! :) Picture of Darius on the side. :)

Prologue-Darius

Dear Diary,

                I don’t want to be here. All the other faeries are going to find out soon that I’m not a pure faerie like them. Mum can’t help me. She has to remain strong as Queen and she says that the Unseelie are rising. I have to do this on my own.

                Mum says that when I was younger, the fact that I’m not a real faerie wasn’t as obvious. Our powers don’t manifest until we’re much older so I blended in with everyone else.

                But now that I’m sixteen, things are becoming more obvious. All the faeries my age already have their wings and are learning how to control their powers. Even though I think that I’m a Sagittarius half-faerie, no powers are becoming obvious.

                The Council is becoming suspicious. And once that happens, Mum will be in danger. I’m a Forbidden Child.

                A long time ago, the faeries banned the production of any half-faeries, meaning any part faerie, part human child. They were too dangerous, becoming almost mutant-like. A lot of half-faeries had powers too and some had wings, but sometimes the half-faeries were mutated when they came out.

                I’m lucky. I’m not mutated.

                Mum says that the last time the Unseelie rose, it was horrible. A lot of faeries were killed and one of the two master-minds behind the plot, Taylor, escaped. He’s somewhere on Earth, provided he hasn’t died. He had been badly wounded during the battle.

                Bryony and Lukith also helped Mum during that battle, along with Shyroote and Carli. Both Shyroote and Carli are dead now. They both died helping Mum.

                Mum had a boyfriend on earth: Will. I don’t know what happened to him, but he’s my father. I just hope that he hasn’t moved on because Mum still loves him. I don’t think she can visit him anymore.

                If the Council find out that I’m a half-faerie, Mum and I will either be executed or banished to Earth. I just hope that...

                “Darius!” shouted a voice.

                His head shot up from his leather-bound book and he jumped to his feet, almost tripping over a stack of books on the floor. Scrambling around all of them, he made for the door that led to the passage.

                “Yes, Bryony?” he asked politely, yanking open the door.

                “Your mother wishes to speak with you,” Bryony said, frowning at him.

                With one hand, she pushed the door back harder, forcing him to take a step back and also pushing into the bedroom.

                Darius understood. His mother had been having a lot of secret conversations with him lately, all about his parentage. Only a few faeries knew: Bryony and Lukith who were both Protectors for his mother and Kylie, the daughter of the previous Sagittarius king.

                When Bryony had fully entered the room and shoved the door back into its position, his mother appeared suddenly out of thin air.

                “Hey, Mum,” Darius said.

                “Darius,” she whispered, urgently. “It’s time. Chen is becoming suspicious. I can’t trust him, not with what he did in the last battle with the Unseelie.”

                “I know, Mum,” Darius said. “But what can we do?”

                “I have to send you away,” the queen said. “I’m so sorry, Darius, and I love you so much, but you can’t stay here anymore. The Council is suspicious as you know, and I cannot let Chen rise to power. It’s his greatest weakness.”

                “But can’t Bryony and Lukith do something to help?” he began.

                Bryony shook her head. “Darius, you know our limits. Lukith is just a Virgo faerie. And I’m a Gemini. We can’t stand against the Council. Your mother broke the law. I’m sorry that the terrible fate rests on you.”

                “Where can I go?” he asked. “Icadoz is the only planet in our galaxy, isn’t it?”

                “You have to go to Earth,” the queen said. “Here.”

                She passed Darius a piece of paper with a name and an address written on it. Glancing at the sheet, Darius made out a name: Will Larks.

                “That’s the name of your father,” she said. “And the address where he stays. My human mum and dad adopted him, you know, after his father’s death. He’ll look after you.”

                “But what about you?” Darius protested.

                “She’ll be safe with you gone,” Bryony assured him. “The Council don’t have any proof about you and once you’re gone, she’ll be able to restore the peace to Icadoz.”

                “But the Seal?” he asked.

                The Seal was the magical protections that the Sagittarius faeries renewed every twelve years. It had been sealed just four years ago, by his mother.

                “There are advantages of being a Sagittarius faerie,” the queen said, with a smirk on her face.

                Darius smiled.

                “It’s time to go,” the queen continued.

                As fast as he could, Darius scooped up all the stuff that he wanted. He would never see Icadoz again. All his friends: Leslie, Walter and Zoe; he would never see them again. And they would never know why he had gone missing.

                “Lukith is organizing an ‘accident’ for you,” Bryony said. “It’ll look like you’re dead.”

                “That’s comforting, Bryony,” Darius said, dryly.

                When he was cramming the chest of magical items that his mother had given him at birth into his bag, they heard a door slam.

                “They’re coming,” the queen whispered. “Darius, you have to go. NOW!”

                Snatching up the bag, the three faeries ran for the window. They hadn’t made it more than five steps before fists began slamming the door to bits.

                Bryony and his mother both spun around, fear on their faces. The next second, an invisible force caught Darius around the waist and sent him flying. He was unsure of what was happening; all he knew was that his mother was working some magic.

                He heard a loud pop and then the last sensation he had was that he was falling.