Wish Fulfilment

Chapter 17: Wish Fulfilment

The first thing I noticed was that I was not in my cot.

The second was that my sword was missing from my side, and I was shirtless, wearing the pants of an angel. How I'd missed the feeling of the fabric against my skin.

“Awake at last,” a soft voice said, from behind me.

Lucifer stood in the light, not really a surprise.

“I thought you said you would let me sleep,” I retorted.

He didn't justify my words with a response.

“This feel different,” I said. “Why is that?”

He smiled in the same way a mother did when she looked at her children. The realization hit me, and it was terrifying. Lucifer's power felt far too real, on a whole different level than in the dreams.

“I am sorry brother, but I could not resist.” He took a few steps towards me, white wings somehow even more stunning in person. It had been only three months and I'd forgotten him already. “You are hard to find.”

“H-how did I get here?” I asked, surveying my surroundings.

We stood in a square room whose floor, ceiling, and walls were all made of the same grey stone. There was no windows and no visible exit. Lucifer did not answer me.

“I said no,” I tried again.

It was amazing how the angel could turn my blood to ice while looking so kind. Pity, concern, and love were all emotions I saw in his cold blue eyes—no anger or malicious intent to be found.

“And though I will never understand that, I will respect it,” he said. “I would never force you to stand beside me. I want it to be your choice, to fight this war on my side.”

“Let me go then,” I said.

It had taken long enough, but I was learning how get past the overwhelming light, and speak to him as I would any other brother.

“I will. But first I have something to show you.” He unsheathed the his sword—my sword. “I want you to see that the things I promise are within reach for you.”

I stiffened. He couldn't mean.

The sword traced a circle on the cobbles. Light seemed to emanate from it, like its tip had left it there. Lucifer unfurled his wings, and everything went white. A blast of energy that size could clear the storm. When it dissipated I was lying on my stomach.

There was someone curled in the circle, looking very small. Back wings formed a protective shell, and he did not look up, shuttering slightly.

“Penemue?” I whispered, crawling across the floor towards him.