Power of God

Chapter 35: Power of God

The first thing I knew was that I had been right in my prediction. Ambriel was on the roof, waiting for me, staring me down.

The second thing I knew was that she did not greet me with the same joy she had just a few hours prior. She was soaked, again, and I did not understand how she could stay out in the storm for such lengths of time.

"Brother." She nodded.

"You are not going to like this," I said, as I moved towards her. "But I wish you would come with me."

"Come with you where?" Ambriel was guarded.

"Hell." I grinned at her, out of the pure absurdity.

Much to my surprise, my brother did not look angry. She didn't even look guarded. Instead she reacted by closing the distance, placing a hand on either side of my face.

"What is wrong Ramiel? What is going on?"

She held onto me like she was afraid I would be snatched away at a moment's notice.

"Lucifer brought Penemue back," I said. "Partially. We need the power of the Ark--"

Ambriel cut me off. "No." She released me, taking a step back. "You are stupid brother. You were stupid the last time, and you seem to have learned nothing from it. I was nowhere near as close to Penemue as you and I know he would not want this. The Penemue I knew would gladly spend eternity in Hell before betraying his brothers to the devil."

I winced. That was what she thought of me: a betrayer. But I was only trying to do what was right, to fix this. I wished to convey to her what Penemue had told me about the scales, and the love Lucifer had for Micheal, but the words would not put themselves in the right order.

"I spoke to him," I said. "He does not care for himself, only for the other brother that could be brought back if we were to do this. We intend to bring back Micheal."

Ambriel was still shaking her head. "I am sorry Ramiel. I have to tell Gavyn, and the Cambion. I hate to go to them, but I do not know what do to."

"Come with me," I said. "You, me, and Penemue, we can all be together."

"You will never get the key, not without having to hurt the humans." Ambriel turned towards the door."

"Too late." From my scabbard I drew the pendant. A large shadow covered almost the entirety of the roof. I steeled myself to dive through it. "Come with me, brother," I begged. "We can bring them back. We can bring them all back."

"Yes!" Ambriel screamed at me, and I was taken aback. This was not like her. This was not like an angel. What had I done to her, bringing her into my world? "Yes I want to bring them back! But never. Never would I work with Lucifer. I do not know what you're thinking." Ambriel was breathing hard. "If what Lucifer says about the Ark is even true we must take it for heaven. Imagine the damage that kind of power could do in his hands."

But would it do any better in the hands of heaven? I wasn't so sure anymore. And the Ark was in Hell, in the innermost circle. What could the archangels do?

"But I have a way in now," I said. "And Lucifer has been convinced, somehow. He will bring back Micheal first. Once he's back--"

Ambriel extended her wings, shooting across the roof towards me.

"Give me the key, Ramiel!"

I dove out of the way just in time, but the end of her wing brushed my arm. I had failed to convert her. She would see eventually. They all would, once I had Micheal and Penemue on my side. But right now I needed to get out of here. I let the shadows absorb me.