Warriors of Hope

Chapter 23: Warriors of Hope

The first thing I felt was humanity, swirling and surging around me. I'd stopped noticing it, being immersed for so long.

The second thing I felt was a brother, very close to me.

When I opened my eyes I was confronted not with the darkness of that in-between place, but with the sunlight of earth.

“Ramiel?” She was cautious, perching beside me, her pink tinged wings glowing slightly in the sun.

“Ambriel,” I was just as wary, if not more so, “what happened? Where am I?”

We were alone on a rooftop, crumbling from years of disregard. Where was her legion? Where was Sariel?

“Safe.” She came to sit very close beside me. “On earth.” As if that wasn't obvious.”

“Why?”

I was meant to die, or be left alone for an eternity. All hope I'd had for forgiveness had been lost when Camael revealed the identities of my companions: the companions who, arguably, hated me even more than my brothers.

“You saved my life, and have been punished for it. I only do the same.”

“You owe me nothing. I know what I have done.”

She took my hand. “Yes. But remember, I was the only one there to see you do it, to see the true circumstances. The imagination of our brothers does more damage to you than anything else.”

I drew away, ignoring the little voice that screamed at me to cherish any shred of compassion. “I can not bring you down with me. I've already hurt so many who I care about. Leave me now. They will never know how I escaped.”

She shook her head. “I made up my mind a long time ago, brother, that I would stand with you. I have been searching since you came into contact with your legion the first time. Dariel told me.”

“They are not my legion any more.”

“Always.” She infused truth into the word, releasing it heavy from her lips. “There are many who did not wish to return you to heaven. Camael knows. She can feel it.”

This brought me more worry than comfort. It was not like them, to question Gabriel's will. The last thing heaven needed now was division within the ranks

“She used to speak to me often.” For the first time since I had awoken, a little regret crossed Ambriel's face. “But recently she is distant. The position of Archangel is not without stress.”

Despite the fact that it was her who had landed me in my current position, I still worried for Camael. It said something, that an angel like her had reached that high a rank. She had not even been part of the original second tier, chosen by Raguel when he filled Micheal's space. That wasn't to say that Camael wasn't arguably the best warrior among us. It was why she had risen so high. But I knew for a fact that Ambriel would have made a better leader.