Fractured

Chapter 21: Fractured

Today, since my body was warm, the soothing light of the sword was cool, refreshing. I played with the handle, tracing its shape with my thumb, engraving it into my brain in such a way that I would never forget its feel in my hands.

“Are you alright, brother?”

A voice reached me through the light, like music, and I moved towards it instinctively. The white winged angel waited for me, an expression of concern written into his perfect features.

“I am unharmed.” I came to a stop in front of him. “Are you...?”

“This version of me is okay.” He smiled. “We were apart from some time though, were we not?”

I didn't want to answer, but he had asked me a direct question.

“Brother, it was a mistake. I am sorry. It will never happen again.”

Suddenly a whole new kind of fear was upon me. What if when I told him of Gabriel's legion—like I undoubtedly would—he would ask to be taken to his highest ranking brother? What if he was disappointed in my actions, no longer trusted me?

“The Cambion took my sword, correct?”

I nodded. “How did you...?”

“Oh, I know everything about Desdemona Cruz. The sword was in her possession for quite some time.”

I remembered the mess of a girl we'd found in the cell. It was her own fault, I tried to tell myself, for trying to steal the sword in the first place.

“I feel as if I have failed you,” I admitted “I would have failed to retrieve your sword, if you had not dealt with the demons yourself.”

Micheal placed a hand gently against my cheek. “You seem to forget, Ramiel, that I am no longer around. My weapon did what it was meant to do, yes, but it is just a sword. What good is a sword if there is no one to wield it?”

He let his hand slid down so it rested on my shoulder. “Now I sense that many of our brothers are near. Please tell me all that has happened since last we spoke.”

I did as he had requested, answering every question, describing every event. It was the longest I'd ever stayed in this place, enveloped by the light of the sword. We sat on the ground together, Micheal's wings folded tight behind him.

“It is such a horrible thought.” He looked sad. “That one of our family could be betraying us.”

The world in front of me rocked, fractured. I jumped to my feet, trying to get my bearings in the shifting light, the disembodied sounds.

“Brother?” I called.

Suddenly, he was beside me, hands holding me steady in the midst of all the chaos.