Chapter 18: Duped and Buying Some Time

Fionna heaved silently, relishing in the thought that by the time the Lich and Lukas returned to the Candy kingdom, Gumball would've been finished with the antidote. She couldn't wait to see the look on Lukas's face when he has to deal with a vampire Marshall Lee. She continued to weave past the trees, running deeper into the forest and as far away from the kingdom she could possibly get.

She didn't hear any noise from behind her and with a laugh, she screamed, "I think we lost 'em!"

Jumping over a fallen tree trunk, she smiled contently at her feline companion who returned the victorious smile. They both continued in sync with their stride. The wind blew Fionna's bangs to the side of her head. Fionna's heart was surely pounding, but she didn't even break a sweat. 

'This is almost too easy,' Fionna thought, but then she frowned. 'Too easy...'

Fionna slowed her run, beckoning Cake to do the same as she furrowed her eyebrows in deep concentration, surveying the area around her. 

"What's wrong, Babycakes?" Cake asked, curiously.

Fionna's eyes widened in shock as she registered the stillness around her. There was no way that they would've been able to outrun Lukas. "We've been duped," she said.

Out of her peripheral vision, she saw some movement and she gripped the handle of her sword tighter.

"Fionna!" Cake screamed.

The adventuress leaped up, pulling her sword forward and slicing the fireball in half before hitting the ground. Digging her heels into the ground, she grinned widely and twisted the sword around, appreciatively.

"Remind me to get one of these things when we're done here, Cake," Fionna says. The adventuress turned her attention to the Lich queen, waving the sword in front of her. 

"About time you figured it out," the Lich Queen smirked victoriously, "But I believe you're too late."

"Where's Lukas?"

The Lich Queen cracked a smile as she examined her boney fingers. "He should already be back at the Candy Kingdom. You don't honestly believe we were born yesterday, did you?"

"Trust me, Ya big bag of bones, you definitely weren't born in this century," Fionna spat. To Cake, she said, "We need to get back and help Gumball!"

The Lich Queen cackled to herself, allowing flames to dance wildly against her palms as she lifted her head to glare at the heroes. The sky had turned pitch black with green lightning flowing through it and an eerie fog began to descend around them all.

 From under the heroes feet came skeletal hands, digging through the surface and revealing the bodies of fallen warriors with an evil green flame buring in their eye sockets. One grasped Fionna's foot firmly in its hand and dragged her to the ground.

 She slashed its head off quickly and brought her attention to Cake who was getting swarmed by the creatures. "Oh no," she muttered. "I'm coming, Cake!"

 Cake morphed into a bigger form and began swiping at the skeletons, but she turned her attention to an oblivious Fionna with the Lich Queen drawing closer to her. "Fi, behind you!"

Fionna spun around, coming face to face with the bag of bones herself. The Lich Queen had her lips pulled back into a ghastly snarl as she continued her advance.

 "You two aren't going anywhere."

----

Gumball hurriedly tried his best to make the antidote.