Chapter 19: Fighting Lukas

It happened so fast.

 Gumball stood on the sidelines, watching his best friend fight a vampire. He knew Marshall was at a disadvantage. A completely unfair disadvantage. He watched their moves closely and calculated the amount of time that Marshall had until his adrenaline completely ran out, leaving him defenseless to Lukas. 

 It wasn't going to be long from now.

 To his side, he saw Dominick trying to stand. Gumball scrambled over to him and helped him up, throwing the vampire's arm over his shoulder to help carry him. "You need to get out of here," Dominick growled.

 "No," Gumball said. "I'm not leaving you guys here to deal with Lukas by yourselves. There's got to be something I could do."

 Dominick didn't respond. 

 Gumball looked between the door and the chemicals, wondering what to do, letting the wheels in his mind turn. For probably the millionth time, he felt like the damsel in distress who always needed saving. He felt like a weakling that was never strong enough to defend himself against the Ice Queen. 

 He's done watching from the sidelines.

 He's done being a bystander.

 He steered Dominick away from the door and to the lab table, leaning him against the stool. He began scrutinizing each vial, smiling from ear to ear while Dominick openly stared in surprise. "What  do you think you're doing?"

 "I'm being a hero."

 ~~~

 Marshall already felt exhausted. He was sure that he had a deep cut above his eyebrow, but he continued to fight. He watched Lukas's muscles closely, expecting the one that tenses is the one he's going to strike with, trying to use this to predict his next hit. 

 Marshall concentrated on maintaining his defense, but continued looking for an opening. He knew he was fighting for his life, but couldn't help a glance at his friends. Thinking that they were going to make a run for it, he decided to keep Lukas's attention from straying to them.

 "I didn't know a human would be this much trouble for you. I think you're losing your touch," Marshall Lee said with a smirk.

 Lukas growled loudly and swung his sword in blind anger at Marshall's head, forgetting to use more of a strategy. Marshall easily blocked his next blow with a grin on his face. He knew he was angering Lukas more, but anything to keep the anger focused on him. He spared another glimpse at his friends and saw that instead of running to the door, they scuttled to the table.

 Marshall let his guard down. Lukas stabbed his sword out, trying to jab Marshall in the stomach, but Marshall sidestepped at the last moment, missing it by more than a centimeter. The cut managed to slice Marshall's flannel, cutting it dangerously close for Marshall's taste. "Glob," Marshall howled.

 "I'm going to make you pay, Marshall Lee Abadeer," Lukas sneered.

 He began slashing at Marshall with more impatience. Marshall began regretting pushing him beyond his breaking point. Marshall knew that Lukas was now out for blood and wouldn't be satisfied with anything less. 

 Marshall backed up, his defensive stance was now shattering. He was rapidly losing energy, his parries were losing their potential. He had to look for a way out. 

 "We're ending this now, Lee," Lukas declared. 

 "I know you got a bone to pick with me," Marshall paused and attempted to swing his axe in a return blow, "But you should've left the people I care about out of it."