Chapter 20: Last Chapter

*Fionna's POV*

My breath came in heavy pants. Beads of sweat were dripping down the sides of my face. Droplets of rain broke and scattered across my forehead before striking down my cheeks. I looked up, frowning at the dark clouds. "Just our luck," I muttered.

Cake stood near me, also out of breath.

I turned to her, hoping that she was having a much better time dealing with the situation, but I noticed with a grimace that Cake had blood matted to her fur and she was holding a wound near her hip, "Cake, you should go. I don't want you to get hurt anymore than you already have."

"Nu uh, Babycakes! I'm gonna stay and help you!"

I sliced the head off another skeleton and kicked it away, "You helped me enough."

Cake shook her head stubbornly. She grabbed a skeleton and threw him over her shoulder like he weighed close to nothing. "I ain't goin' anywhere. I wanna fight along my sis!"

I smiled at her. There was no way I could try pushing Cake away after she said something like that. We are the best team after all, nothing could stand a chance against us - not even a skeleton army.

I grasped Cake's paw in hand, "Then let's go kick some bony butt!"

Cake stretched her arms forward, tightening her paws into fist and knocking through some of the skeletons. She smashed and punched, destroying as many as she could before the bony army unfroze and flanked to her sides. They all jumped onto her, making it almost impossible to see Cake through the mass.

"Cake!" I shrieked.

An annoyed howl escaped Cake's lips and she broke free of their hold, stretching larger in her moment of rage. She swung her arms around and stomped angrily on the skeletons as she led the way to the Lich for me. "C'mon, follow me!" Cake said.

I nodded, trailing behind Cake and swiping at any creature that Cake forgot to step on. I stabbed one through the neck and kicked it, sending it flying back to the ground. 

I grinned in satisfaction.

One grabbed my arm, tugging me back. I instantly grabbed its arm, flipping it over my shoulder and bringing it crashing down to the ground with a sickening thud. I fought off a few more and soon enough there was only a few stragglers left.

"Got anymore tricks for us?" I asked, beaming at the Lich Queen.

The Lich Queen angrily growled, raising her hand in the air. "I'm tired of you," she screeched. "I'm so tired of dealing with you and your meddlesome antics! Today" - she laughed crazily, throwing her head back - "today, it all ends!" An orb of green fire hovered over her palms, expanding to twice the size of my head.

Cake screeched to a halt, widening her eyes as the Lich Queen got ready to fling the fireball at us. "Cake," I warned, "We need to get out of here!"

"I'm on- Wait... What the heck?" She yelled. Beneath us, the earth softened into quick sand, holding Cake into place. She tried her best to pull herself out of it. "I can't move!"

I struggled to free her. 

"Suga', you're gonna have to leave me!"

I shook my head vigorously, tears forming in my eyes. "No way!" 

 Looking over my shoulder, I saw the orb of fire had grown to the size of a train. There was no time to dodge it, I realized with a heavy heart. I stood in front of Cake, hugging her tightly and braced for the hit.

My heart thudded in my chest, the beating became the only thing I could hear. She embraced me back, her tears rolling down her fur.

"Fi!"