Chapter One; Wake Up Call/ True Colors

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it Blake. You're struggling to find the 'right shade of blue' for your reading room. I mean, how many shades of blue could there actually be?" I paused and bit my lip, waiting for a caustic response.

"65,336, there are approximately 52 shades of blue that the eye can see. That includes turquoise, robin egg, royal, navy, teal.. You get the idea." Blake was a lawyer, so yeah she had to have evidence for almost everything she did. It was a natural habit for her.

I sighed. "Okay, so you want me to come out with you, and shop for paint." She immediately corrected me, "For my reading room. I take my reading very serious Jen, blue is the color that makes me focus. Orange makes me too hungry, yellow is too bright. In other words, every single other color has some kind of flaw to my concentration mechanism." I raised my eyebrow, "Right. Well, not today, Blake. I have to pick Naomi up from the daycare center. And you know how hard this is on me. I'm having separation anxiety."

"More than fifty percent of new moms feel the exact same way that you do Jen, I get it, it's hard for you. Especially after everything you went through with Jared," I cringed at his name, and a pit formed in my stomach, "but you, Jen, are a fighter. And a tough one at that."

"Thanks, Blake. I really needed that." I said softly. "It, it's just really hard sometimes. But um, I have to go. I need to be at daycare in fifteen. Lunch tomorrow?"

"Yep. Sounds great to me. The usual?" I paused and tried to think of what the 'usual' was. We went to so many places all the time, it was hard to figure out which one she meant.

"Okay. I'll see you then. Let me know what time." I said, hoping it would just come up in conversation at some point.

"Alright, see you then." She smiled.

"See you then." I shut off my phone and slipped on my boots, slipping on my big coat and my scarf. I inhaled, thinking about what she had said, Jared. It was one of the first times I had let him slither into my mind. He was never who he played himself out to be.

He hid his real personality until it broke loose and showed me who he really was. People say you see their true colors, but the thing about colors is that they blend together and change to something that they aren't.

*~*~*

"Alrighty, just sign in right here, next to where you signed her in. We'll need identification before you are allowed to pick her up, at least until we get you an official card." I grabbed the pen and scribbled out my name. Then pulled out my wallet and shoved over my I.D. wondering what had made them decided to make such tight pick-up rules. She began typing loudly as she muttered words under her breath. I checked the golden name plate on the counter. Adrianne, it read.

"Okay, Jennifer Flynn, I'll be right back with little Naomi." I stayed at the blue marble counter, tapping my fingers off of its surface when someone came up next to me. The other girl behind the counter started to take care of them. "It's so nice to see you again Paul." The girl said as she typed up something on the computer. "Yeah, I've noticed you've been gone a while. Have you been alright?"

"Oh, yeah. My sister-in-law actually had twins last week." She stopped. "Alright, I'll go get Fletcher for you." After she left, he stood almost as still as me. Then he looked at me, "Are you new here? I've never seen you here before." I paused, like a deer in headlights. "Oh, yeah. My, uh, friend decided it would be best for me to try out daycare, just to smooth things out a little bit, but the anxiety is killing me." He smiled then chuckled, "Yeah, it'll do that to you."