Chapter 9; Hotels and Hard Conversations

I woke up that morning with a pit in my stomach. It felt as though at any moment it could swallow me whole and erase my existence.

I tried to convince myself that I was overreacting. Yet the idea of seeing my ex-husband, who cheated on me, was not something I could smother out of my head. To make matters worse, he was moving in town to run his hotel. It all felt unreal, that of all the places for them to make a new hotel, they picked here, and that he was moving to the same city I lived in.

I had honestly convinced myself that I would never see him again.

The event started at 6:30, so they wanted us to be there at 6:00 to get ready and get an idea of the area. I had set my alarm for 8:00 but snoozed it until 8:20. When I finally managed to pull myself away from my bed, I headed to the bathroom and plugged in my curling iron as I continued my regular morning routine.

After I finished curling my hair, still in my sweatpants, I picked up Naomi from her crib I headed to the kitchen. I sat her in her in her high chair, after giving her milk. I grabbed the hotel opening info and sat down with a bagel at the table.

There were going to be four photographers in total at this event. I guess the Flynns really wanted to make sure that this got covered. Hopefully I could just blend in.

Aside from the obvious negative factors, it seemed like it was supposed to be a really nice event.

After glancing at the folder I gave Naomi a bath and played with her for a little while until my mom arrived.

_______

Once it got closer to six I grabbed one of my nicer dresses, strapless and floral. It went down to right above my knees and had a minor "poof" to it. I pulled back the front of my hair and pinned it back with a small white bow.

I already had my equipment ready, so I wouldn't have to meet up with the other photographers, I could go straight to the hotel. Blake kept texting me, repeatedly asking questions and telling me to keep her updated. I obviously wouldn't since this was a work event. In fact, once I arrived, I left my phone in my camera bag, which we left in a separate room.

The hotel was extravagant. You know, the kind of hotel only those super rich people could afford. Once I stepped inside I was in awe.
There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and a large pool in the back. It was so large that it took me ten minutes to find the event room.

It was a large room with red carpet and tons of round tables with fancy white tablecloths. There were windows that stretched from the ceiling to the floor with huge, flowing red curtains. It was amazing.

The other photographers arrived and we began to explore the area and make up a game plan. We didn't want everyone in one place at one time, so we reviewed a schedule that was given to us and decided where it would be best to have a certain number of photographers at a given time. Every so often though, one of us would get a fifteen or so minute break.

Before we knew it, it was 6:30 and the guests were flooding in. We each scattered to our posts. My first one was at the entrance getting pictures of the guests as they arrived. It was simple enough, but eventually so many people began coming in that it was tiring.

We changed to our next assigned spot after 45 minutes.

I headed into the event room and made my rounds, getting pictures of the decor and scenery. I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders as more time passed. I hadn't seen him. I knew he was there because I'd heard people talked about conversations they'd had with him and how he looked.