Chapter 7; Picture Frames and Painting Rooms

The next few days at work I focused on different approaches to take when taking photos. I had a couple of sessions coming up that I was preparing for. Travis had introduced me to the company equipment and I fell in love. It was amazing and I couldn't wait to work with it. Once I got home that night I looked up everything to know about the equipment and the best ways to work with it. I'd used the brand before, but never stuff this nice.

That meant that I had less time to do more personal activities, like hanging out with Blake or going out with Paul. Of course I'd texted and called both of them over this span of time, it just wasn't face-to-face. But the bright side of doing some of this work at home was being with Naomi. I kept her close to me as I worked on my computer in the evenings and took little breaks to feed her, cuddle her, talk to her, things like that.

I had my first shoot in two days on Friday, but was free Saturday, so I promised Blake that I would help her paint then.

The nerves and anxiety about the upcoming event with Jared had yet to settle down, which I feel made me feel worse. I mean, how are you supposed to deal with something like that? When you try to calm down but it makes it worse?

I also had yet to tell Blake. I knew how she would react and wasn't ready for another conversation, so I just held it in. I would get around to it eventually.

Paul and I had made plans for him to come over and watch a movie, he would pick it up and I would make the snacks. I told him he could bring his kids and he gladly accepted. I'd only met his kids twice and thought it would be a good idea to see them again.

When they arrived, the kids ran off to go play with some toys they brought. Paul handed me a bouquet of sunflowers and the movie; How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days. One of my favorites and I was surprised to see that he actually got it for us to watch.

We sat together on the couch while eating popcorn. Naomi was in her little pen playing with her stuffed elephant. I was taking it all in when a thought hit me.

This could be my life.

It would be everything I wanted. I snuggled up closer to Paul and smiled. This was perfect.

_____

I began to pack up my equipment as I finished up the shoot. It was an engagement shoot, and it turned out better than I'd hoped. I'd done pictures both inside and outside. The snow made for really beautiful pictures. I told the couple that I'd get the pictures to them as soon as possible.

The past two days had flown by. I felt like my life was perfect. I loved my job, this first shoot verified that.

Paul had to go away for a week on a business trip, so I wouldn't be seeing him, which left me with lots of time with Naomi and Blake, which would be nice.

Since we'd be painting a room, Naomi wouldn't be able to be with us, but my mom said that she'd gladly take her for the day.

After I had everything packed up, I headed back to the office to get everything together before the weekend. As I approached my office Travis walked up with his hands stuck in his pockets.

"So, how'd your first appointment go?" He asked, rocking back and forth on his heels.

"It went really well. I think that the pictures really turned out. I was about to sync them up with the computer and then head home," I paused, "but we can look at them if you want." I added after seeing the look on his face.

"No that's alright. We can check them out on Monday. I don't want to keep you from getting home. It's almost 6." He said before turning around to walk away. "Have a nice weekend." He smiled.

I entered my office and plugged in my camera. It didn't take long for the pictures to load onto the computer, and once they did I created a folder on the desktop with their names and the date. I grabbed a sticky note and scribbled down a reminder to look through them on Monday.

______

The next morning I threw on a pair of old athletic shorts and a tee shirt that I probably got at some college orientation. I pulled my hair up into a bun and headed out the door.

When I arrived at Blake's I could smell the paint as soon as I walked in. I entered the room and saw that she had just poured the paint into the pan and had only rolled a couple lines onto the wall. She had old sheets completely covering the floors in order the prevent paint stains on the carpet. I grabbed her stereo from the living room and plugged in my phone.

"This shouldn't take too long if we're both working." I remarked as I picked up a roller. I began to run it against the wall. For some reason, painting was extremely satisfying, as the blue began to smoothly cover the existing cream color.

We only painted for about an hour before we both got hungry and decided to make some grilled cheese and cut up some strawberries. It was one of our favorite snacks. We sat and talked while we ate, Blake was talking about a case she just wrapped up and I was talking about the shoot yesterday.

We realized that we were wasting time, so we quickly finished and went back to painting, but continued our conversations.

Neither of us was sure when, but somehow, somewhere along the way I'd managed to get paint on the side of my face and in a strip of my hair. Blake relentlessly made fun of me for it as I cleaned myself up.

The more we talked, the closer I got to telling her about Jared. I mean, she was Blake. I could tell her anything. I took a deep breath.

"Hey Blake, can I talk to you about something?" I asked as I sat down the roller and looked over at her.

"Of course. What's up?" She asked as she examined the wall she had just painted.

"Well, it's um.." I paused. "It's about Jared."

She turned around suddenly and looked at me.

"He's coming into town."

>>>>>>>>
Hey guys! I finally updated, woohoo! Sorry if it's a little short.

I'm definitely seeing where this story is going and it looks pretty good in my head, fingers crossed that it turns out that well.

Also, if you even slightly like my writing you should check out my other story "Wrong Destinations" ;)
(I actually feel like my writing is better there)

Anyways, I hoped y'all enjoyed this chapter! Hopefully the next one will be up soon.
Let me know what you thought of it :)