Chapter 5; Breakfast and Budding Romance

(I just realized that in the last chapter I put "picnic" for their date. Well, turns out I forgot that it's currently winter in this story so I changed it to breakfast. So I wanted to clarify the change)

Paul held my hand as we walked to our table at the restaurant. We took our seats in a booth by the large window. The snow flurries outside were progressively getting bigger, and simultaneously, prettier. I looked back across the table and saw Paul smiling at me. He handed me a menu and I flipped it open to start browsing my options. I was in the middle of scanning through the waffle section when the waiter came to get our drink orders. Paul ordered a coffee, and with the weather I decided to go with a hot chocolate.

"What are you getting?" I asked Paul as the waiter walked away. He looked back down at the menu, as if to memorize what he was ordering, before replying.

"I'm thinking about getting the omelet with peppers in it, and bacon and ham on the side." He closed his menu and smiled. "What are you thinking about ordering?"

"I'm considering the waffles with strawberries and powdered sugar. They sound really good and it comes with bacon on the side." I closed my menu in the same way he did, giving him a little smile.

It took the waiter a while to come back to get our orders. Not that that was entirely a bad thing. It gave Paul and I lots of time to talk and get to know each other better. We talked about our jobs, soon-to-be job in my case, and other details of our lives. He joked around and showed me that while he has an affectionate side, he also has a goofy and childish side as well. I found myself laughing non-stop.

When our food arrived we didn't hesitate to dig in. The breakfast not only looked beautiful, but it tasted amazing. The flavor combination was perfect. The thought of being self conscious when I ate hadn't even passed my mind until I had almost scarfed down all my food. Any time I looked at Paul, he was smiling, and so was I.

Paul was enjoying his food as well. He immediately went for a bite of the bacon, and dipped a piece in the little pile of syrup he poured into his plate. I made a noise and he looked up at me.

"You okay there?" He asked laughing.

"I love dipping bacon into syrup. It's the perfect combination and I don't know why more people don't do it." He nodded in agreement as he shoved it into his mouth, resulting in a laugh from me. We both continued to engulf our food, occasionally getting in a little conversation when our mouths weren't full.

"Like the food?" He asked while chuckling. His plate was clean and he had his coffee cup in his hands.

"Oh it was absolutely terrible." I replied as I licked the last of the food from the fork.

_____

I had offered to pay for my breakfast but Paul quickly turned me down and insisted on paying the whole bill. After trying one more time, I allowed him to pay. After we left the restaurant we headed to the park to look at the winter decorations. We had both worn our heavy coats and scarves so we were prepared.

By the time we arrived at the park, the snowfall had slowed down to just flurries. There weren't a lot of people at the park, which was understandable. We began to walk around walking track that circled the park. The trees were covered in decorations and Christmas lights that were turned off. The large pond in the center of the park was frozen over, creating a beautiful sight.

There were snowmen and snow angels scattered around the park, most likely from little kids who were running around enjoying the winter weather. Paul and I had started talking about our favorite parts of the holiday and our favorite traditions.

He talked avidly about making cookies with his kids, and how he let them open one present of their choice on Christmas Eve. His face lit up with such love and admiration when he talked about his kids. When he asked me, I explained that Blake and I always got together on Christmas Eve to make cookies and watch our favorite Christmas movies as we drank homemade hot chocolate.

We continued walking until we reached a beautiful lit and decorated pergola. Paul stopped and looked at me.

"Your nose and cheeks are really pink you know. And you have snowflakes all over you." I smiled and took in his features. His cheeks were pink too. It made him even cuter. He looked up and my eyes followed his. Mistletoe.

He put his hands on my face and brought his lips to mine. I felt heat spread all throughout me, despite the cold conditions. It felt as though his lips fit perfectly to mine. I never wanted it to end. I wanted to stay frozen in that moment forever with him.

When we finally separated, our faces stayed close together. We stared into each other's eyes, taking in every detail.

"That was some kiss, huh." He smiled. If there's one thing that I noticed, it was that Paul smiled a lot. But I didn't mind, in fact, I loved it.

"Yeah. It really was."

And it was in that moment, standing in the snow under the mistletoe, our faces still close, that I realized that I was starting to develop feelings for him. Really strong, beautiful feelings.

___

Hey guys! Sorry that this one was shorter. By quite a bit. But on the bright side I updated!
I hope y'all enjoyed that little bit about their date.

I did want to mention that I apologize if I don't update this as much for a few reasons
1) I have a lot of plot planning to do, I don't really know which direction I'm taking this
2) I want to make sure that this story turns out well so I don't want to rush the process.
And
3) My main focus at this moment is on my other story. I have more of an idea of where I'm going with that one.

Let me know what you guys thought of this chapter!