Chapter Four; Acceptance Calls and Acknowledging the Past

"So, when are you going to find out if you got the job?" Blake asked as she sat at my counter flipping through law-related papers.
"I'm not quite sure, but I'm hoping it won't be too long." I replied as I walked back from putting Naomi down for her nap. "They said that they would call me when they decided. They most likely had a lot of applicants for this position." I sat down at the counter and began to pull my hair back into a ponytail. I sat there for a moment as she flipped through her files before I decided to go in the living room and turn on the news.
As soon as I sat down my phone began ringing. I flipped off the tv and sat the remote down beside me. I reached over to grab it and froze when I saw the number. I held it in my hand, dumbly staring at it.
"Blake! It's them!" She rushed into the room and sat down beside me. Open it! She mouthed. I pressed the accept button and held it up to my ear. "Hello?" I said my voice a little bit shaky.
"I'm looking for Jennifer Flynn." A girl responded on the other end of the line.
"This is she." I replied, not realizing that I had been holding my breath.
"This is Desiree from Harrison and Travis Photography..."
_______
"I got the job!" I screamed as I hung up the phone. A huge smile spread across my face. "I start in two days."
"I'm so happy for you!" Blake smiled as she hugged me. "Everything is really coming together for you right now."
"Yeah. I'm in a really good spot with my life right now. I'm excited to see what else is in store." I replied as I pulled out my phone, which played my text tone. A message from Paul flashed across the screen.
"Speaking of.. when's your next date with him?" She asked, biting her hot pink fingernail.
"I don't know yet. We haven't really set one up yet. Although, I'm hoping for something simple and laid back. Nothing too overboard." I slid open my lock screen to read his message. A smile spread across my face as I read it.

I hope your day's going well. Hopefully you haven't had a nose bleed on some guy's shirt ;). I was wondering if you'd want to go have breakfast tomorrow?

"Well? Spit it out. What did he say?" She asked eagerly.
"He said he wants to have breakfast tomorrow." I decided to withhold the nosebleed bit. That was our thing, at least for now.

______

"In the beginning, when Jared and I first split up, I was constantly wondering if I'd missed the signs. If there was something that had gone over my head. I kept myself up late nights stressing and wondering what I'd done wrong. I thought everything was perfect and I thought we were happy. But everything was falling apart under our feet and I had no idea." I took a breath. "I was in love. I didn't want to think something was wrong. No matter what red flags popped up, I missed them. I think it's because I wanted to live in a utopia. So I cut off my ability to see them."
I sat on the couch as I looked at Blake. A blanket strewn across my lap and a cup of hot chocolate sat on the table beside me, untouched. While she knew the whole story, I never really opened up completely to her, even though she kept nudging me to. I don't know what made me open up. But once I did, everything was spilling out. Things I didn't even realize where there.
"I wanted us to work out so badly, you know. He was my first big love and I thought it would actually work. I was naive. I shouldn't have believed that he was a different person than what everyone thought."

"Jen, you know you couldn't have done anything to prevent this. And even if you did catch these so-called signs, what would you have done? Leave him before he could've left you? Jen, there are some things that you can't change. His actions are included in that." She looked at me sympathetically.

"He cheated on me, Blake. And she got pregnant. He left me for her. He left me the day I was going to tell him about Naomi. I never got to tell him. I don't even know if they're together still, and I don't want to. Naomi is far better off without him and so am I. I'm tired of beating myself down for this, but it's hard not to." I played with the tassels on the edge of my blanket. A billion thoughts raced through my head. It was the first time I said he cheated on me since we divorced. We never said it, when we addressed it, we never needed to.

"Paul wouldn't do that, if that's what you're thinking. He's not going to cheat on you. I've never met him and I know this. I know by the way he talks to you all the time and by the way he smiled at you when you two went out the other day. Don't let your past relationship with Jared block and manipulate what you have with Paul." She took a sip of her apple cider and looked down at her mug. It was in that moment that I remembered why she's my best friend. She can be goofy and fun, but when needed, she's the best listener out there. She knows exactly what to say, when to say it, and how to say it. And that was something that meant the world to me.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi guys! Long time no see, literally. It's been like 2 years. Yikes that's bad. I'm sorry to all of you who have been waiting for this since then. I kind of just drifted away from this. I know that this isn't my best writing. I'm trying to get back into the groove of it and this may not match the style of the writing in this story because of that. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hopefully I'll write another one tomorrow.

Let me know what you all thought of this chapter!

Also, we finally got some info on Jared and Jennifer's split! What are your guys' thoughts on that?
And Jen has another date with Paul coming up :)

See ya next time guys!