Chapter Two; Polariods and Pixie Sticks

~•~•~Chapter Two~•~•~

I looked up at the gigantic building which was Harrison and Travis Photography. The large glass windows seemed to expand far beyond eyesight. I pushed open the glass door into the lobby. Suffice to say, it was by far the fanciest one I'd been to.
Fancy class chandeliers and a water fountain centered in the middle of the room. I walked up to the front desk, which was a green granite counter. The girl sitting there seemed my age, her curled red hair pulled back into a tight ponytail. The plate in front of her read Desiree, and she had a phone smashed between her shoulder and ear. I waited there and kept hearing the name Kelsey and interview. Mainly interview, which somewhat worried me.

She looked up from her work sheet and saw me, shock quickly went through her expression, she hung up the phone. "I'm guessing that you're Jennifer? Here for the interview." I nodded. She picked up a pen and scribbled something down "I'm sorry, I'm super bad at this, our secretary cancelled last minute. I'm actually a videographer and photography assistant here."I let out a nervous laugh. "It's fine."

"Okay. Well, Mr. Travis isn't currently available so you'll be having your interview with Kelsey." She smiled. "Just go straight through those doors, turn right to the elevator and go up to the fifteenth floor. Kelsey will be waiting for you in the conference room." She said glancing up from the iMac.

I nodded and headed for the door. I was unsure about how far down the hallway I was actually supposed to turn right. I just glanced constantly at my right side until I spotted the elevator sign. I pressed the up arrow and waited. This was my real chance at getting a good start to my career. Being at such a well known company would really help me... and Naomi.

Do you ever have that nervous feeling that's practically screaming If I Don't Get Out Of Here Now I'll Die, when your stomach is all knotted up and you feel like you can't breathe? That perfectly describes how I felt. And I wasn't much of a nervous person. The doors slid open and I took a deep breath before stepping in.

•—•—•—•

"Alrighty then." Kelsey smiled at me, closing her binder. "You look highly qualified for this job. I'll just get this information to Mr. Travis and we will call you with the results." She said as she collected my documents, along with her own. "Thank you for coming out here today. I hope to see you around." She stood up and exited the conference room, which was completed surrounded by glass walls.
I left pretty quickly after she did. Blake was watching Naomi for me today so I promised her that I would be back as soon as it was over.

I took a breath and grabbed my bag. As I walked out of the conference room and saw different pictures blown up to the size of a poster. One though, triggered a memory. It was of a couple on a beach, their hands entwined, sunglasses perched on their noses, beaming at each other. Her hair dyed blonde and his brown.

I immediately thought of us.

______

I put down my novel and looked out at the ocean. Then over at him, a beer in one hand and a sports magazine in his other.
"Personally, I think that saying that I married my best friend is quite idiotic because you are certainly not my best friend." I smiled. "That title was already taken hun." I finished as I plopped a cherry on my mouth and yanked out the stem.
He looked over at me, his sunglasses glaring from the sunlight, a smile plastered on his lips.

"Oh yeah? Who?" He asked daringly. I paused, acting as though I was thinking.
"Hmmm.. I could say Blake. Obviously." He got up from his chair and crouched down beside mine. "Yeah?"
"Oh yeah." I smiled. He leaned in and kissed me. Fire shot through my veins. The same feeling as the first time, except more passionate.
"So when can we have this baby you speak of?" He looked up at me, his hand still cupping my cheek.
I laughed. "Whenever you want it."
He pulled me into a hug. "I'll always love you J."
Then he began tickling me as he kissed my cheek.

______

"So, how'd it go?" Blake asked hopefully. "They said I'm qualified but we have to wait and see." She picked up her backpack, and sat down on my couch to tie her tennis shoes. "You know," I began, "you were right. About him. I mean, of course you were. You always are." I took a deep breath. "What do you mean?" She asked while standing up, tightening her high blonde ponytail.
"A few days ago, when we were having that really big discussion. You said that I couldn't keep blaming myself for what happened. And that I should move on. You were right." She smiled and pulled me into a hug.

"You're strong. Okay? You're the strongest person I know. And there is a perfect guy out there for you. You just gotta go and find him now." She patted me on the shoulder and headed out the door. She peeped her head back in, "Oh yeah, we're having a girl's day tomorrow. Be ready. No ifs, ands, or buts. At 11:30, on me." She shut the door and walked to her car.

•—•—•—•
"Pixie sticks...?" I asked myself out loud as I looked down at Blake's shopping list she sent me, for me. "Why pixie sticks?" I stood dumbfounded in the middle of the ice cream aisle, I obviously had to stock up on my Cookies N' Cream.

Naomi sat quietly in the baby seat of the cart. I looked at her and sighed. "I don't know what's going through her brain, baby girl." I placed a kiss on her head. "Let's finish our little grocery store adventure then I'll take you to get a new onesie, because yours is getting kinda old." I paused remembering that she couldn't understand what was going on.

I wandered off to the sweets and candy aisle, only to find the only pixie sticks in stock were in a huge package with so many I couldn't count them all. I heaved it into my cart. "Why am I listening to you Blake?" I groaned as I pushed my cart to go get some grapefruit and kiwi. Of course, I accidentally hit something with my cart. I looked up from the list to see what it was. Or more like, who it was.

None other than Paul. I groaned and put my head on the handlebar before looking back at him. "Are you okay?" I asked, fully and completely embarrassed. "Fine. It's just a cart-- Holy crap that's a lot of pixie sticks." I laughed. "Yeah, I know. My friend kind of sent me a grocery list of things to buy... for myself."

"Well, I suggest the blue ones." He smiled. "Really?" He nodded. "Yup, they tend to be sweeter. At least to me." I shrugged. "I'll be sure to try blue first then." I laughed. He looked down and noticed Naomi, who had apparently fallen asleep. "So this is her, huh." He looked at her admiringly. "Yeah. She must be awfully tired today. She's already been down for quite a few naps."

"So, do you want to go out sometime?" He asked looking at me now. I froze. I hadn't been asked out since high school. "Yeah. That would be really nice. When would you want to go?" He stuck his hands in his pockets.
"Maybe this weekend sometime. I could take you one Saturday if that works for you. But I don't actually have your number."

I paused, "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry I completely forgot about swapping numbers. I have yours but I didn't give you mine, wow I'm so polite." He let out a little laugh. I got out my phone and sent him a text. "So she does exist." He smiled. "Alright, I'll text you tonight. But I have to run, my daughter adventured off into the world of Starbursts and Skittles." And he rushed off towards the candy aisle. A few moments later my phone buzzed.

How do you feel about surprise dates?? -Paul ;)

I smiled down at the next. "Well, this could either go incredibly or it could be a complete disaster." But I hoped and hoped that it would be so much better than I could have dreamed.

_____
There's chapter two! How do you feel about Paul? What about Jennifer and Paul?
I don't know about you, but I'm excited for this :-)
Comment your thoughts!
There will be some flashbacks coming up soon, so hang in there!
Bye everyone :-)