Chapter 5

Hello! It's a short chapter but I wanted to get something up. Enjoy!

Chapter 5

        "Stop joking around, just talk to me about whatever it is you need to talk about." I sighed.

        "I'm serious." Chase's grey eyes stared intently into mine, willing me to take him seriously. He must be a very good actor.

        " You're either kidding or you're a psychopath. Which is it?" I stood and began backing towards the door. He was staring to scare me. I shouldn't have gotten on the back of a strangers motorcycle. 

        "Ava, I'm not a psychopath and I'm not joking. I need you to just sit down and hear me out. After that, I promise to bring you home. You have my word. You don't need to be afraid of me." He made no move to come after me, but his eyes were pleading me to stay. Even though I was itching to go home, I wasn't afraid of him. 

        "You need help. Werewolves don't exist." I started shaking my head frantically. I couldn't bear to keep eye contact with him. I wouldn't be able to resist staying. And I knew I couldn't do that. I couldn't stay. He must be crazy. My hand reached out for the door handle behind me and was about to turn it when the door suddenly burst open. I jumped forward to avoid being hit by it and turned to face the person who strode in, 

        "Sit down sweetheart, I don't have time for this." A petite girl with shoulder length black and pink hair came barreling in and slammed the door shut behind her. She wore dark denim jeans and a leather jacket. Just like the other woman I had seen, she looked like she could be related to Chase. Her skin had the samed sunkissed glow. She grabbed my arm and pushed me into the chair I had previouslt occupied. She was strong for her size. 

        "Kate! Don't lay your hands on her." Chase growled and jumped up from his seat to stand next to me. His eyes were alight with contained fury. He wanted to blow up on her, I could see it. Kate ignored him and directed her attention back to me with a look of distaste.

        "My brother no longer has time to do things his way," She turned her gaze on Chase "and is a fool if he thinks he can." She took a step towards me and I stared at her wide eyed. Chase tensed next to me and somehow managed to restrain himself. "He is supposed to be the future Alpha of this pack and you are meant to be his mate no matter how much I despise the prospect. Without you, the position will go to my other brother, and trust me when I say you do not want that." 

        Chase looked pained when I glanced up at him in panic. His sister was nuts! Worse than him even. "W-what are you talking about?" I managed to spit out. 

        "I'm talking about you agreeing to be the Luna of this pack so that my idiotic brother can't overthrow my less idiotic brother, comprende?" Kate slapped her hand on the arm of he chair and I flinched. Chase finally decided to step in and make her back off. He carefully pushed her back until she was a safe distance away from me.

        "Kate, I am trying to do what is best for this pack." Chase spoke in a calm yet threatening voice and I could only imagine what kind of storm was playing in his eyes. 

        "So am I!" Kate shot back. I stayed silent as a mouse, I didn't want any of that bottled up rage directed at me. "Can't you see? Dad's dead! You don't have time to ease her into this anymore!" Kate began shouting and slammed her hand against the door frame. I was surprised she didn't break her hand with how hard she hit it.

        "Until the next full moon, I am still in charge of this pack Kate! Leave! You have done enough." Chase growled and I decided I never, no in a million years, wanted to be the person he was using that tone with. I was ready to piss myself just listening to him. 

        "Let me know when Jason comes into town, I'll make sure to dissapear before he reaches the front door." Kate looked ready to cry and her voice cracked. With one final hateful glare towards me, she exited the room. She wasn't very kind to the door on her way out either. 

        The silence that ensued was torturing. Chase hadn't moved since Kate stormed off and he didn't look like he planned to. After several minutes I decided it would be a good idea to make sure he was okay. I walked over to him and put my hand on his arm. His muscles were taught like he was flexing but he was incredibly still. When I ran my hand up and down his arm he seemed to relax though. His muscles loosed and he turned his head to look at me. 

        He looked like he was in pain. His eyes were bloodshot and he had dark circles I hadn't noticed before. The storm in his eyes was going full force. Every fiber of my being wanted to calm that storm and take all of his pain and sorrows away. This is the sole reason i decided to stay. Despite the crazy. Despite the fact I knew in my gut this was going to be complicated and hard. I decided to stay because I don't think I could bear to leave him.

        His eyes peirced my soul and I felt almost naked. My breathing was uneven and short when he slipped an arm around my waist and faced me, coming in close. For a second I thought he was going to kiss me. Part of me wished he would. But, a small -albiet very small- part of me thought it was too soon. I didn't know if he was crazy or the world was. Or if both of them were. 

        He must have seen the slight indecision in my eyes because he stopped leaning in and just rested his forehead on mine. It was intimate but not too intense and I enjoyed his closeness. "Are you ready to go home?" He asked in a raspy voice. 

        "Are you sure you should be driving a motorcylce in this state?" My tongue felt thick in my throat. 

        "No. I will have my sister drive us." He pulled away from me a bit but still stood quite close to me. However, I was still a little sad he moved away. 

        "Kate?" I asked secretly hoping I was wrong, but she did say he was her brother. He grimaced when I said her name and I regretted it.

        "No, most definitely not. My other sister. The one I was at the diner with. The one with Annie right now. Her name is Miranda, I think you will like her."

        "If she's anything like you, then I believe I will like her alot." I spoke softly, I was slightly embarassed by what I had said. I could feel my cheeks flush so I ducked my head. I heard a small chuckle escape from Chase's lips and I was glad I could make him laugh in such stressful times. Even if he was batshit crazy.

        We made our way back to the foyer and Chase's sister was there waiting for us. She said hello and then we followed her outside to where a sleek blue car was waiting. It looked like a sports car, but I'm not one to ask about cars. I know practically nothing. I climbed in the backseat and CHase followed me. I gave him a confused look, I had figured he would sit in the front. 

        "I just want to be near you" He answered my confused look and took my fingers in his. He rubbed his thumb lazily accross the back of my hand all the way to the diner where my car was parked. It soothed my nerves and made me blush even though it was such a simple gesture. I didn't say it, but I quite enjoyed being near him too.