Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

My mind keeps wandering back to the stanger named Chase. I try to focus on the lecture my history professor is currently teaching but I just can't force myself to. I keep daydreaming about the scrumptous abs most likely hiding under the grey T-shirt Chase was wearing yesterday at the diner. His number is still on that napkin I have stuffed in the pocket of my jeans from last night. Maybe I can just text him and.... No. I can't. I turned him down for a good reason. I need to focus on school and I can't have his award worthy smile or body distracting me.

Besides, I really am too young for him. I may be mature for my age but I don't think a relationship with a man in his mid twenties is a good idea. He probably just wanted a one night stand anyways. Why else would you ask out a girl so much younger than you? If he was looking for a long term relationship he would look for somebody his own age.

All of this thinking is making me depressed and before I know it I've chewed all of my fingernails to stubs and the lecture is over. Needless to say I didn't absorb one bit of it or take any notes. I will have to get them from Jenna later, she has this class too. Now it is time for me to go to work though and I am dreading it. It will only remind me even more of the mysterious Chase and I will probably be messing up orders all night.

I pull into the back parking lot of the diner and grab my work shirt out of my backseat. I leave my jacket in the car because the air is strangely warm for a mid October day in Michigan. I sigh before entering the diner, on time today. I go straight to the womans bathroom to change into my workshirt and apron before heading to the kitchen. Larry nods at me in greeting while he continues to flip burgers and I send both him and Martha a small smile and a wave.

The restaurant seems pretty busy tonight so I jump right in to taking the orders of the people in my section. Being busy makes it easier to stop staring at the empty booth Chase sat at yesterday. I keep imagining him walking in the door and being seated at that booth. Him demanding I go out with him and me caving. Then things in my imaginary scene get a bit steamy as he wines and dines me and I finally get to see if those abs are everything I imagine.

"Miss?" I am pulled out of my daydream by a customer whose order I was supposed to be taking. Maybe the business wasn't keeping my mind off him as well as I thought...

***

Two more days have passed and you would think I would have forgotten about the delectable diner man but I haven't. For some reason the random stranger keeps finding a way into my thoughts. He obviously never showed up at the diner and carried me into the sunset like in my day dreams. I will probably never see him again. Hell, he's probably already forgotten about me. So why can't I seem to forget about him?

"Earth to Ava, is anyone home?" Jenna pretended to knock on my forehead and rolled her eyes at me.

"Sorry Jen. What's up?" I ask her as I return to the present. I am sitting at the kitchen table with a bowl of lucky charms and my laptop open to try and write an essay. I only got one sentence down before my mind traveled back to Chase.

"Come out with me tonight. Me and some friends are going to a bar downtown. I even took the curtesy of getting you a fake I.D." She grinned like she had done me the biggest favor imaginable and dropped an I.D on the table with my picture on it. However, it claimed I was twenty-two.

"As much as I appreciate it I can't tonight Jenna. I have an essay I have to write. Besides, you know it's not really my scene anyways." I spoon another bite of lucky charms into my mouth and ignore the death glare I am getting.

"Yes, because that essay looks like its coming along nicely." Sarcasm oozes from her voice as she motions to my one lonely sentence. I shut my laptop to hide my dissgrace of an essay and look up at her. "Come on Ava. You have been staring at your computer for twenty minutes without writing a single word. Come out with us tonight and get your mind off of whatever it is that has you so distracted. Have one drink and if you feel like going home then fine, but at least have one drink." Jenna reasoned with me and I sigh, caving in.