Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

        "I'm going to kill you Ava Meyers!" Ironicaly enough it was my best friend yelling this at me from down the hallway. Sarah ran at me where I stood at my locker, cleaning it out. The school year was coming to an end and I was trying to sort through all the junk that had accumulated. I didn't even know I owned that much shit.

        "Why are you plotting my demise?" I asked Sarah casually even though she was giving me her signature glare. I have become imune to it over the last ten years of being friends. Her blonde top knot and floral blouse weren't exactly intimidating either.

        "You know damn well why!" She yelled and several heads turned towards us. I don't know why people were still surprised by Sarah's volume. She was notoriously loud and obnoxious. Though you wouldn't know it from her appearance. She wears frilly dresses and hair bows for goodness sake.

        "I haven't a clue what you're talking about." I replied while pulling two hoodies out of my locker. I knew exactly what she was refering to of course but I was hoping to avoid talking about it for a bit longer. I knew I was going to get the third degree when she found out.

        "When exactly were you planning to tell me you are graduating a year early? We were supposed to be living it up as seniors together next year!" Sarah looked at me with her puppy dog face. Her blue eyes watering and her bottom lip stuck out. Another one of her looks I was immune to.

        "I know sweetie. I was planning to tell you tonight when we went to get froyo. With the extra classes I was taking I have enough credits to graduate this year. We will still have the summer before I go off to college though, and lord knows I will be visiting all the time. My parents are throwing a fit about me going to college early, so I won't even be that far away. Just an hour." I explained calmly and rationally, Sarah seemed to relax as I assured her she would still see me often.

        "Fine, but just for this you are buying the froyo tonight." Sarah conceded and crossed her arms, I smiled and peeled my shirtless picture of Chris Hemsworth off of my locker door before slamming it shut. 

        "Hey is that my hoodie?"

                                                                                ***

        The summer flew by. Days spent at the beach and my favorite froyo shop were abundant. It was the perfect summer but it was kind of bittersweet. I was going off to college soon and entering the real world. The world of jobs and bills and responsibilites. 

        A world I am currently living in. Well, trying to live in. I got a job at a local diner to help pay for food, gas, and rent. My parents are paying for my college classes as it is and I don't want to take even more money from them. I feel bad enough as it is. They didn't even want me going an hour away to college so young, and I'm having them pay for it.

        "You're late Ava." My boss Eddy stated when I walked in the back door of the diner. 

        "I know Eddy, my class ran late but it won't happen again." I promised and smoothed my insanely curly shoulder length brown hair back into a pony tail. I tied a white apron on over my jeans and red "Eddy's Diner" work shirt. Before walking out to start taking orders I took a deep breath and rubbed my tired green eyes. I had stayed up late to finish a project and now I'm stuck here until the diner closes at ten. It's only four o'clock now so I have a long night ahead of me.

        I exit the kitchen and walk to my section of tables. We are pretty slow at the moment so only one table in my section is occupied. A man who looks to be in his mid twenties is sitting in one of our red retro booths across from a woman who seems to be a litle older than me.