Chapter 4

~~~~

~~~~

Rays of sunlight seeped through the wooden walls of the Homestead as I woke up, feeling a little sleepy. I sat up, stretched, then walked over to the cupboard to grab new clothes for the day. I pulled out a black tank top, green jeans with deep pockets and zippers, and combat boots. Just as I was about to pull my top off, I noticed something on the small table. It was a creamy white hoodie crumpled on the polished wood.

A smile escaped me, thinking about how Newt was not only kind enough to stay with me while I slept, but also leaving his hoodie for me in case I got cold. I picked it up, examining the stains and feeling the texture of fabric. But that was soon interrupted when I got a knock at my bedroom door.

"Um, one second!" I called out.

The person on the other side didn't respond, but I quickly got changed into the clothes I picked out, then went to open my door. And speak of the devil, Newt was on the other side with his gorgeous smile.

"Well, I guess I didn't have to wake you up," he said happily. "How'd you sleep?"

"Fine, knowing that there was someone with me," I replied dreamily. "Oh! By the way, you left this here last night."

I handed him his hoodie while I looked at the features on him. His blond hair was messy but still good-looking, his eyes were bright and happy, knowing that he probably woke up a few hours ago. God, how could he look so good without making any effort?

"Oh, thanks. I didn't even think about that," he said as he took it out of my hands. "Come on, breakfast is downstairs and we will give you a try on your first job."

I smiled and nodded, then shut the door behind me and started walking with Newt. I watched as he put his hoodie over him to cover up his exposed, slightly muscular arms. He rolled the sleeves up by the time we reached the kitchen where every Glader was. Frypan was once again, serving his lovely cooking to everyone. I grabbed a plate and Fry greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning, Greenie," he said cheerfully. "How'd you sleep?"

"Great," I replied. "And by the way, I figured out my name."

Frypan stopped putting bacon on my plate and glanced up at me with wide eyes, and apparently, people in line around me heard me correctly.

"Oh, that's awesome!" Frypan said enthusiastically. "What's your name?"

"Rosalee."

Everyone started clapping and cheering for me, which kind of made me feel embarrassed. It was only a mere dream that helped me recover my name. But what if it wasn't a dream, but a memory? I don't know if every boy had dreams the first week they were in the Glade, so that got me thinking if they were memories instead of random dreams, especially about a specific woman. But who knows, my brain might've been playing tricks on me.