Chapter 26

Hey everybody! <3 Once again, dedication = impossible to choose. BUT I have to dedicate to... @LouisShouldOwnABoat because she said she'd go up to a stranger and tell them about this book... heheh. and she voted for almost EVERY chapter. But seriously, if you didn't get chosen this time, you should know it was THE HARDEST DECISION EVER. Keep commenting and I'm SURE you'll get a dedication soon :)

-------

Chapter 26 *Wedding in: 5m 18d*

-Arabella-

I crash through the slate-gray front door, stumbling slightly over the doorframe. With the cottony sleeve of my sweater, I dab at the edges of my eyes, hoping to avoid sloppy mascara smears. Happy anniversary. Harry's bitter statement pierces my heart once again, forcing another batch of fresh, hot tears into my eyes.

Harry's personality clashes drastically with mine; I'm not afraid to admit that. And jamming our characters together is bound to lead to some tension. Nobody would expect it to be simple. Maybe on the surface, on magazine covers and reality television shows, certain relationships seem ideal. But even Romeo and Juliet had their issues.

Somehow, though, Harry and I have survived for two entire years. It's taken lots of compromise, of course, mostly on his part, and forgiveness, mostly on mine. There'll be days where every single one of his actions drive me to the verge of absolutely madness. There'll be days when I'm hopelessly in love and unable to conceal it. There'll be days when we're so furious with one another that there's thick, sharp silence separating us. Through all of it, however, our love has provided a cement that seals our relationship together.

Tonight, though, it'd be completely unfair to assign the blame to Harry. The tiny velvet box in my pocket is a bittersweet reminder that this time, it's my fault.

My fingers clasp the gift, unmoving. Finally, my curiosity overpowers me, and I pop the lid open, revealing the two loose scraps of paper and an unraveled strand of ribbon.

Cautiously, I pluck one paper from the box, unfolding it crease by crease. The words, written messily in a light lead pencil, blur before my eyes, and my breathing becomes shallow as I struggle to read it.

Bride-to-Be

Your eyes make speechless as they flick in my direction.

And as I gaze into them I can see my own reflection.

Oh, you're always the reason I've got a smile on my face.

Yes, you are my perfection.

For a moment, I'm dumbstruck, gaping at the so-called present. A poem. How, exactly, is a poorly written love sonnet supposed to compare to expensive, shimmery diamonds? I curse under my breath, skipping the following stanzas, and toss the paper onto the counter with a disgusted eye-roll. Strangely, my entire body is quivering unexplainably, but I ignore it, snatching up the second gift. For his sake, I'd hope this is somewhat likable. God. A poem?

I purse my lips, realizing that this second paper is yet another hand-written note.

My dearest Arabella,

Within the past two years, we've created a million unforgettable memories, and you've changed my life. I'd like to add another memory to the collection, and this is the reason for my gift: a two-week vacation wherever in the world you'd like to visit. Paris, Italy, Greece; anywhere you choose.

All my love,

Harry

A faint smile curves my lips into a pink, kissable smile. This is my kind of gift. As soon as I feel a rush of exhilaration, black spots invade my vision, streaming across my eyes at laser speed. The slip of paper flutters out of my trembling hand, sailing delicately towards the floor. My slim, toned legs buckle, and I plummet onto the cold, hard wood.