Chapter 8

Hey guuuuys. So, here's chapter 8 because people kept telling me to update.. Comment. Vote.

Oh, and also, big news! In the Best Harry fanfic contest, I'm in 2nd place! Two more votes and I'll be in first, which would be just unbelievable! Make my life and vote for me?

http://www.wattpad.com/7165217-one-direction-awards-nominees-september-2012-best

I love you! Happy reading xx

Chapter 8 *Wedding in: 10m 17d*

   I'm afraid I've gone delusional. Or at least I'm mishearing things. Because I could have sworn the words that just spilled out of Zayn's mouth were 'The wedding'. "Um, what?" I ask tentatively, struggling to clear my head. 

   He blows out an irritated breath and I scowl. I'm the one who's best friend is marrying the boy of my dreams and who's room Zayn just barged into in the wee hours of the morning. I deserve the privilege of being irritated. 

   "We have to stop this wedding," he repeats.

   Maybe he's the one who's gone delusional. I mean, Ara has faith in me, has been my closest friend for years, and... and I want nothing more than to stop this wedding. But it can't be done. "How do you know about their engagement?" 

   He furrows his eyebrow, clearly thinking I'm some kind of idiot. "He texted all of us before he even proposed, of course. And he ignored me when I tried to talk him out of it. Now are you going to help me or not?" 

   "Why, exactly, would I want to do that?" I rub my forehead with a fist, attempting to make my brain function. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to work.

   Calmly, he begins his clarification, fixing his dark, shimmering eyes on mine. "Reason number one: the band. Even if Harry remains with One Direction after the wedding, it won't be the same. Not to mention, him marrying so young is bad for our image and we could lose countless fans. Number two: you. Don't even deny that you were heartbroken when you heard about it."

   I cough indignantly but he plows on, ignoring me. I knew I should never have confided in him that I was interested in Harry.

   "Number three: for many reasons, Arabella is not The One for Harry. He may believe so, she may believe so, but you and I, we disagree." 

   "I don't disagree!" I protest, crossing my arms. "She's my best friend." 

   He furrows his eyebrows and, his tone sharp, replies, "Arabella? Your best friend? I highly doubt that. Name one time in the past twenty-four hours that she's been honestly kind to you." 

   The statement hangs in the air, doubling the tension. Almost immediately, tears sting my eyes. I'm not sure if it's because of his accusation or because it's the truth. 

   "Hallie, Harry isn't himself when he's with her. Normally, he's cheeky and confident, but as soon as she shows up, he transfers into something... different. He isn't himself, I'm telling you. She isn't right for him." 

   I shake my head, attempting to block out his voice. My mind is a whirlwind and simply listening to Zayn gives me a splitting headache. I can hardly understand anything he’s saying, yet in a way it all makes sense.

   "Listen, Hal. Arabella may be a good person overall. But she isn't a good person for Harry. We can't let this wedding happen." 

   Tears drip from my eyes, trickling down my cheeks and dangling at the end of my nose before losing their grip and splashing into my lap. It's three in the morning, I'm distressed and drowsy, and I'm on-the-spot. 

   How am I possibly supposed to choose between Arabella and Harry? Ar, the girl I've shared thousands of laughs with, who I whisper (almost) all of my secrets to, who's changed my perspective on who I am? The person who I immediately name as my best friend and have always admired.

   And then, of course, there's Harry. Harry, the boy who causes my pulse to speed up, my pulse to flutter uncontrollably, who never fails to bring a smile to my lips. The boy who's always lurking in the back of my head, who I truly love and always will. The boy who has captured my heart and refuses to let go. 

   Either I lose my dearest friend and have a chance to gain that fairy tale ending or remain friends with Ar but break my own heart in the process. 

   I relive every moment with Ara: the giggles and makeovers, parties and gossip. Her random compliments: how my eyelashes are ridiculously thick or my eyebrows look amazing. Our late-night movie marathons and browsing through the fittest guys’ Twitter pages. But then, there are the worse memories. Those days she stayed up until midnight texting her boyfriend-of-the-month, and pleaded with me to lend her my homework until I gave in. The embarrassing moment when an entire carton of chocolate milk slipped from my hand, gushing all over my favorite Jack Wills shirt, and rather than grabbing handfuls of napkins to help me, she spent the entire day snickering about it. How she insults my hair or outfit for no reason except to tear me down. And when I start to doubt our friendship, she somehow manages to persuade me to forgive her.  

   Then I relive my moments with Harry: staring into those grass-green, startlingly beautiful eyes. His charming smile, his angelic voice in the beginning of Same Mistakes, his deep dimples when he laughs at one of my lame jokes. Our light-hearted conversations and the sensation of his arm around my shoulder when he hugs me goodbye. The shattering in my heart when I witness how much he adores Arabella.

   I feel the tiniest twinge in my heart and a tiny voice comes from deep inside me, softer than a feather. It whispers, 'Who's worth it?' The answer hits me like a slap in the face and I blink, swiveling to face Zayn. 

   I breathe in shakily, desperately wishing I weren't in such a difficult position, but positive in myself. I think that I've known the truth---the truth about my friendship with Ara, the truth about my feelings for Harry, the truth about what really matters to me---for a longer than I can admit. "What's the plan?" 

   A devious smile cracks on his somber face and his eyes light up, gleaming mischievously. "You’ve heard of Mean Girls, I assume?" 

   As horrible as I feel about betraying Ar, a grin spreads across my face. "Indeed I have." 

   Zayn whips out his iPhone and creates a new Notes page, smirking devilishly. "In that case, let's get started. We have about ten months, and if we can't do this, it's all over." 

   I'm most likely insane, sitting in a dark hotel room with Legally Blondes playing in the background, plotting to destroy the relationship of the two people who are most important to me. Actually, I might as well except that I am insane, and not a thing in the world is going to cure it. So, why not try to win Harry along the way?

-----------------

So yeah, that's about it. I'll try to post Chapter 9 (one of my favorites) soon, but please  COMMENT AND VOTE COMMENT AND VOTE COMMENT AND VOTE. Just pressing one little vote button, it's easy <3 The more I get, the sooner I post ;)

Rosemaryy <3 xx