Epilogue

I can't explain what this feels like, to know that this is the last time I will ever update 'I Do', the last chapter you can comment on. I never expected to reach the end of this road and it's definitely bittersweet. This epilogue is, out of all my updates, my baby, my pride and joy, and I hope you all love it as much as I've loved writing this.

Knowing that my first story is over, I can't believe it. I've gained so many friends, so many readers, so much amazing feedback and you've definitely all changed me as a person. I'm heartbroken, kind of, but there will be more stories, more readers, more friends to gain. And I look at this as the beginning.

I'd like to dedicate this last chapter to a friend, a fan, a reader, and someone who has supported me through thick and thin.. @shaibee. Honestly, I couldn't do this without her. She's so sweet and amazing and crazy enough to have written me my very own fanfiction, which I would never have imagined anyone doing.

And now, read away.

----------

Epilogue *53 Years Later*

-Hallie-

   Salty tears trickle down my cheek, weaving through the feathery creases in my face as though they're cars on a street. I suck in a shallow, harsh breath, biting my lip and gulping back the tart concoction of panic determinedly crawling up my throat. Keeping my weary, glistening grey eyes trained vacantly on the gravestone standing in front of me, I shake my head in disbelief. With all that happened between us -- all the tears, all the laughter, all the love -- I would never have imagined that things would come to a close with such bitter finality.

   Instinctively, I reach for my husband, wincing when my fingers clasp around thin air. The space he always occupies, the space beside me, is dismally empty, sending a startled shiver prickling along my spine. I fidget restlessly, wishing for his comforting, warm hand to trace delicate shapes on my palm. God, why isn't he here?

   I heave a sudden deep sigh, disappointed at my distinct lack of control. The cutting reality is, gone means gone -- not missing, not absent, not lost, but never to return. That thought, of course, does nothing to stop my helpless trembling. With an anxious air, I smooth down my velvet black dress, reminding myself that it'd be ridiculous to back out now. I'm so tantalizingly, irresistibly close to moving on.

   A distinct memory surges through my mind and in that moment I'm seven years old again. My eager grey eyes are wide, wavy brown pigtails protrude from both sides of my head, a perky and innocent smile curls the corners of my mouth, and I cock my head bemusedly to the side as my mother repeats the ever-so-common phrase, "Time goes by so fast." At the time, the idea seemed utter nonsense; to a playful little girl whose main ambition is to grow up and become as beautiful as her Barbie doll, time extends for eternity, inching along at a snail's pace. Today, though, the statement strikes true with simple, raw power.

   Somehow along the path of life, forty-five years have slithered past since the death... and, at last, I've mustered enough courage to visit this grave. It's unreasonable, despicable, perhaps, but some dynamic force, possibly conflicting fear or regret, has compelled me to avoid it. Today, though, it is time.

   "Hey, love," Harry murmurs from behind me, causing me to gasp softly, alarmed, before settling into a delighted peace. Despite my current despair, I smile, tucking a wispy lock of hair behind my ear. The memories that swirl within me at the mere whisper from that voice. "I'm here, sorry."

   Unable to resist, I lovingly bury my head into the enticing crook of Harry's neck, relaxing as his graying curls lightly tickle my cheek. One arm winds reassuringly around my waist, his gold wedding band digging softly into my hip. For one moment, all else disappears; my heart blossoms at his simplest touch.