Chapter 3

Chapter 3 *Now*

-Arabella-

The speaker overhead crackles and the stern voice of the pilot blares out, "We're approaching landing. Please shut off all electronic devices and stay seated."

A flight attendant strides down the aisle, glaring accusingly at my iPhone. Pursing my lips, I stuff it into the Coach purse Harry bought for our one-year anniversary. I glance over at Hallie, who's curled into her chair listening to music, and elbow her. "Hal," I hiss as she removes her earphones. "How do I look?"

She scrutinizes my outfit, looking dismayed as she compares us. It's typical, clueless Hallie to wear shorts and a lace tank top, hair undone with the slightest smudge of makeup. I, however, am dressed in my favorite D&G dress with a cute floral pattern and gorgeous silver heels. Not to mention, my makeup is flawless.

"Fine," she mutters halfheartedly, pinning her hair back with a few bobby pins. It doesn't help much, as her curls are unfortunately tangled. But she should have thought ahead.

Satisfied, I smirk down at my lap, focusing on the bright pink flowers to keep from saying anything unnecessarily mean. Really, though, the girl is unbelievably naive. Obviously I told Harry to allow magazine reporters and fans and photographers in.

My Coach vibrates, tickling my thighs, and I squirm uncomfortably in the plush first-class seat. Keeping an eye out for the irritating flight attendant, I dig through my bag and snatch out my phone.

From: Harry

Hey love, have you landed yet?

To: Harry

no. we'll be there soon.

Rolling my eyes, I stow my phone away. Honestly, I love the boy, but Harry's constant nagging tends to get on my last nerve.

After a few minutes, the plane rumbles to a landing and we listen to the boring off-boarding procedures.

"I can't believe we're in America!" Hallie squeals brightly as we bustle off the plane, surrounded by the proper businessmen that always tend to ride first-class. I smile tightly at her, annoyed. She's eighteen years old, for God's sake, and she acts like a child in a candy shop.

I strut down the grey terminal, with Hallie scurrying to keep up. The instant the bright flash of a camera catches my eye, I paste on a dazzling smile and flip my hair over my shoulder.

I try not to gape as I approach the crowd. There're more girls than I can count here, all screaming and chattering, creating a constant buzz of noise. Photographers line the walls, snapping picture after picture as I aim a few looks in their direction. Then I catch sight of him.

Harry's charming smile is wider than I've ever seen and his eyes gleam with anticipation. I stroll towards him, transforming my expression from a supermodel smile to lovesick. As I approach, he steps forward so we're just inches away. Unhesitant, I snake my arms around his neck and yank his face towards mine.

"I'm so glad you're here," Harry murmurs, his green eyes locking to mine.

"So am I," I whisper, crashing my lips against his warm, smooth ones. Slowly, my eyes drift closed, cutting off the frantic fans and rabid photographers. Oh, yes, it's good to be here.

-Hallie-

Pink blooms on my cheeks as I sidestep Harry and Arabella, desperate to get out of the camera's range. I could slap myself. Of course there are fans everywhere, frantically snapping pictures and screaming the boys' names. Of course I should have worn something a little dressier, like Ara, and thought to reapply my makeup in the airplane bathroom. But no, instead I walk beside the ever-so-stunning Arabella Edwards, looking far less put together. And I had my hopes up that Harry would suddenly fall for me. Nice going, Hallie.

I nearly collide with a red-headed photographer and whirl around, seeking out the boys to rescue me.

"Niall!" I holler, rushing towards the Irish boy. His piercing blue eyes widen and he grins. I curve my lips up, trying to appear delighted, despite the fact that the boy I love is standing behind me with his tongue stuck in my best friend's mouth.

He drapes his arms over my shoulders and I bury my face in his chest, relieved. This shot could be on Twitter any second but at least I'm out of view.

A solid body slams into mine from behind and for an instant I'm struck with fear that an insane fan is attacking us. But I recognize Louis's playful voice. "IT'S HALLIE!" A few more bodies collide into our circle, jabbering cheerfully.

"You guys," I whine, pouting teasingly. "I'm kind of squished."

"Let's flatten Hallie!" Louis announces jokingly, squeezing me in even tighter. I wince, lightly slapping his arm, and he leaps backward.

"That was uncalled for!" he complain with an injured expression.

"Self-defense," I claim, smugly smiling.

"Lou, you should know better than to try to argue with Hal," Eleanor chides, raising her eyebrows and grinning at me. "She's practically a lawyer."

"Right," I agree sarcastically. "Just a billion years to go at good old Oxford!"

"You ought to be proud. Oxford is tough to get into," Liam remarks, shaking his head in a bewildered sort of way.

"Absolutely. Because it was my dream to go to Oxford and become a lawyer. My mum always told me to do whatever I wanted, that my dreams were her dreams," I reply and Niall cracks up. Niall, like all the others, has heard the story of my mother convincing-forcing me to go into law. I'll start my first year at the university this autumn, and I'm dreading it.

"Does she still think we're a horrible influence?" Zayn wonders, looking amused.

"Absolutely horrible. You should be proud of yourselves."

"I know I am," Niall chimes in. "How'd you convince her to let you visit us?"

I grimace. "Well, she was boiling eggs and I walked into the kitchen and told her, 'Mum, I'm thinking about visiting America.' Well, that got her attention. I swear, she didn't even let me finish, so while she was warning me about how dangerous that sounded, I slipped in something about it not being too risky since you guys have a million body guards."

Zayn grins. He briefly met my mother when she picked me up from Ara's seventeenth birthday (she was convinced I'd be drunk and crash the car) and he's listened to countless stories about her overreactions. For the boys, at least, it's very entertaining.

"She started bellowing about how there wasn't a chance in this world and she trusts me, but all sorts of crazy things can happen in America." According to my mum, crazy things can happen in... airplanes, movie theaters, concerts, bedrooms, parking lots, bakeries, stores, hotel rooms, on couches, the kitchen, malls, school detention rooms, school locker rooms, school bleachers, Paris, and now, America. "I didn't get a word in for a good half hour and once I did, I had no clue what to say."

"How're you here, then?"

"I finally threatened not to go to Oxford -- so I basically wasted any power I have over her -- and she settled for me coming as long as I call her every few days and do nothing irresponsible."

"Well, you can forget all about your mummy this week," Louis reassures me. "She can't control you from across the ocean."

I laugh but can't help risking a glance back at the 'perfect couple', who are smiling sweetly, arms still wound around one another. Louis' right, I may not have to worry about my mother and her ridiculous rules. But I have a dreadful feeling Harabella will be providing plenty of problems on their own.

--------------

Hey everyyybodyyyyy. Once again, thanks for reading. Fan, comment, vote. And also, if any of your friends are One Direction fans like me, TELL THEM ABOUT THIS STORY. Pretty please with Niall on top? I'll buy you a puppy!

Anyways I hope you guys like it so far. Well, you might not like Arabella. That's okay, I don't like her either.

Also, just so everybody knows, I was super nervous about putting this story out there. I didn't know what anyone would think or if they'd like it at all. But my sister forced me to. So PLEASE, your feedback is really important to me!

LOVE YOU ALL,

Rosemary