Chapter 16

Dedication is to... @AliciaRomantye for her lovely comments and votes <333 thank you girl.

I'm REALLY trying to keep track of people who deserve dedications, and I'm so sorry if I've accidentally forgotten you! There's a LOT of people <3

-------------------

Chapter 16 *Wedding in 10m 5d* 

-Hallie- 

   "Mum, Dad, can I talk to you both, please?" I fidget nervously in my seat at the breakfast table, feeling my butter-coated toast and juice swish inside my stomach.

   Mum swivels her head to face me, her hawk-like eyes staring sharply. Dad sets aside his newspaper, folding it unhappily. I clear my throat, stiffening in my chair and privately crossing my fingers underneath the table.

   "So, as you know, classes start in a couple months." 

   "Oh, we're so proud of you. I know lawyer wasn't your top career choice, but you'll be excellent at it, Hallie," my mother comments fervently, clearly hoping that would bring our conversation to a close. 

   "Um, thanks. Anyways, while I was in America, I did some thinking." I inhale as much air as possible and blurt it out. "And I realized that I'm an adult, now. So--" 

   "You're not getting married, if that's where this is headed," she announces briskly, folding her arms in suspicion.

   I roll my eyes. What, married to my imaginary boyfriend or something? "Yeah, well, that's not where this is headed, Mum. I--"

    "I was just making sure," she snaps defensively. "If Arabella's doing it, you might be interested as well." 

   "I don't know if you've noticed, but that isn't even a possibility right now, since I’m probably going to remain single forever. What I'm trying to tell you is... I'm moving out this Saturday." I wince as Mum sloshes her coffee onto the table in surprise. 

   "You're what?" Dad speaks up for the first time, taking a large gulp of coffee and furrowing his brow. 

   "I got the flat I wanted, in Oxford," I explain, praying that if I sound enthusiastic, they'll celebrate instead of killing me. "I want to move into Oxford early, so I’ll know my way around before school starts. And I’ll be closer to my university and won't have to stay in the dorm. Plus, this way I can help with the wedding!" 

   Oops. I probably shouldn't have brought the wedding up, but it just blurted out. My mother was outraged when she heard the news, as she strongly disapproves of young marriages. Every time she stumbles upon an article about it in the paper, she makes hmphs and mutters that their relationship won't possibly survive a marriage. That's what I'm hoping, of course, but I didn't mention my opinion, and certainly not the sabotage. Mum would so not approve of me getting involved in such, as she'd phrase it, 'shenanigans'.

   The tension in here is so thick that even a chainsaw wouldn't make a dent. "Help with the wedding?" she spits out, running a hand through her lightly graying hair.  

   "Um, Ar asked me to plan it," I admit with a weak smile. Oh, dear, I really didn't think this conversation through. 

   "You have classes to be concerned about, young lady. You don't need any more stress on your plate."

   "Mum," I reply, sighing in frustration. "I can handle it. Besides, those classes are ones you're forcing me to take, so I think I deserve some privileges of my own, don't you?" Oh my God. The fact that I actually said that makes my gut droop fearfully.