Chapter 7: The Train Ride

Draco watched the raven-haired boy for a moment before he spoke. He had dark circles under his eyes, as if he hadn't slept in a long time. He wore a grim face, and it even looked as though he had a few grey hairs, though they wouldn't be noticeable unless you were looking closely. The war, it seemed, had done its fair share on the boy who lived. 

Harry's state worried the blond, though he wouldn't admit it. He had absolutely no clue as to why he was worrying in the first place. He came to the conclusion that he was confused, not worried. 

Life for the ferret had changed immensely after the war. He had had his trial, and had been pardoned, though his mother had been put on house arrest. He, of course, had stayed with her, keeping her company in the empty, gloomy manor. As much as Draco loved his mother, he had hated his time there. It seemed every inch of Malfoy Manor had been infested with had memories. Just the feeling you would get being there was horrible. The Dark Lord had destroyed his one home; the place he'd once been happy in.

Draco would admit he hadn't grown up in the best environment. His parents, more specifically his father, had taught him to believe in things he now knew to be false. But despite all that, he really did love his parents. He did feel that his father deserved Azkaban though. A man can make his own choices, and suffer the consequences to follow. His father had made his choices, and these were the consequences.

Emerging from his thoughts, Draco cleared his throat. "Can I sit in here?" Draco's voice was small, and he cringed just hearing it.

Awoken from their deep trance, the three startled, and looked up. Malfoy was standing a few feet in front of them, clearly uncomfortable. Hands behind his back, he shifted his feet, growing a bit pink from embarrassment. 

"Yeah, ok," Harry replied. Malfoy nodded and moved to the seat farthest from the three, bringing his knees to his chest and wrapping his arms around them. He stared out the window, deep in thought.

---------------------------

The train ride was quite uncomfortable for the four. About halfway through, Hermione gave in, wanting to breaking the troublesome silence. She cast a quick muffliato charm around the trio.

"Ok, I have a few things to say. One, this silence is unbearable. Two, Ron, I cannot believe that your hungry right now," she said, acknowledging the noise his stomach was making. "We ate a few hours ago. And three, this thing between us and Malfoy is stupid, and it needs to end right now." Harry and Ron were quiet for about another minute, before Harry spoke.

"Your right, we have bigger things to worry about then a petty rivalry." He glanced at Malfoy, who was in the same position he had been in when he first sat down. His eyes were closed, but he wasn't asleep.

Ron looked between the two of them, still unsure. "But wha-" Hermione interrupted him.

"Ron, I'm not asking for us to suddenly become all buddy-buddy. Just being civil to each other for once." He thought again, and gave a quick nod. Hermione removed the charm, and turned around, so that they were all facing the blond.

Feeling their stares, Draco opened his eyes, and looked over at them. "Can I help you?" he asked.

Hermione stepped forward, taking charge. "Yes."

"Well, what is it Granger?"

 "Harry, Ron and I have agreed to end this foolish rivalry with you. We apologize for what we've said or done in the past. We hope you can forgive us, and our friendship is and always will be, available to you." Ron gave her a look at that. "Oh, and you can call me Hermione." 

Draco looked taken aback. He was definitely not expecting that. But he wasn't a kid anymore, and such matters did seem rather childish now. "Alright," he said, closing his eyes again, a small smile forming as the trio turned away.

Just then two people walked in, looking exasperated. "There you are Draco. Blaise and I have checked every compartment on this entire train looking for you." It was only then, that Pansy noticed the other three people with them. "And I find you here, with Potter, Granger, and the Weasel."

Draco stared at his friends. Finally, he spoke up. "Hello Pansy. Blaise." He nodded his head to each of them. "Glad you found me. Oh, and these three and I have decided to set aside our differences. So if you could refrain from the crude nicknames, that would be most appreciated." Then they gazed at each other some more, before bursting out in laughter. Harry, Ron and Hermione shared a confused look, but ignored it after a while. In all honesty, Draco, Pansy and Blaise weren't sure why they were laughing either. It just felt so good, so they kept on going. 

Harry watched Malfoy, listening to him laughing. It was honestly the most beautiful thing he had ever heard. He wished he could record it, and play it over and over again. It was then he realized what he had been thinking for the past minute, and he quickly stopped. What in the name of Merlin was happening to him?

----------------------------

The train pulled to a stop at the station in Hogsmeade, the carriages waiting to take then to the school. Harry remembered one of his most recent visits here, that happened just hours before the Battle of Hogwarts. 

Dementors swarmed the streets. Harry, Ron and Hermione were trapped, the only thing keeping them from the death eaters being Harry's invisibility cloak. One wrong move, and they were toast. One foot, finger, tip of the shoe showing, and they were caught. The dementors only got closer, filling the air with gloom and despair. Harry just wanted to get away, but the dementors were getting a bit too close. Expecto Patronum!

"Harry, mate. You were doing it again. Come on, Hermione found us a carriage with Neville and Luna." Ron gave Harry a worried look, before leading him to the carriages. He looked around. It seemed the thestrals were getting a lot more attention this year.

----------------------------

A/N: If you are still reading this, then I love you. It means a lot that people are enjoying my work. Unless...you aren't enjoying it. Then I'm not sure while your still here to be honest. Well, I'll see yall tomorrow for the next update. Have a marvelous day!