I. Chemistry

Chemistry. Isn't it strange how chemistry can connect people despite who they are or where they are? That spark inside your chest. That feeling pulling you to them like a magnet. Like you share a hair, a blood cell, an artery that is desperate to reconnect and become one again. It was the greatest, most excruciating pain I had ever experienced. Once you've found that someone, there was nothing that compared. That was how I felt about Evelyn. Beautiful Evelyn. She could have reached inside my chest and ripped my heart right out and my limp, dying body would still beg to be close to her. I was willing to give up my entire existence for her, which is when I realised that perhaps I was on the wrong side. Perhaps I should give up all my powers and move to Earth. Spend my life looking after her. Allow her to fully incorporate herself into my life. I had spent every waking moment thinking about her and our life together. I had no chance focusing on anything or anyone else. Her pink lips, porcelain skin, long black eyelashes, beautiful deep eyes. Every inch and crevice of her body was inscribed, etched into the walls of my mind. Ultimately what is the purpose for existing, but love?

It was miserable outside. I hadn't bothered looking out through my window as I'd spent my time at my desk. The weather seemed very adjacent to how I felt. Miserable. There was nothing good enough to brighten up my mood. I had enough paperwork to drown myself in. I'd been procrastinating. It was difficult to focus with so much pressure inside my chest, begging me to go see her. I'd hoped Evelyn had found it in her to forgive me for all the wrong I had done. I hoped she didn't think of me the way I thought of myself. I hoped she hadn't regretted meeting me. Should it be this difficult to be away from her? I felt like chaining myself to my chair, to keep myself away from her. I was obsessed. I couldn't possibly fathom ever living without her. I'd been existing all this time, but I only felt like I was living, when around her. She was my life.

Most if not all of the paperwork were the laws, I had broken to protect Evelyn. I had to somehow explain why loving Evelyn had made me break them. This is exhausting. I leaned back in my chair, closing my eyes, and reminiscing the time I had spent with Evelyn. Her pink cheeks and soft skin were running through my head. I need help.

"You need to leave." A voice echoed across the room. I felt it cut through me like a knife. I do. I need to do something. I can't continue sitting here. The image of me holding Evelyn in my arms flashed through my mind. I couldn't help, but smile. I could smell her perfume, even if she weren't here. I could feel her soft skin against mine. That was all I wanted, all I needed, to be near her again.

"I know, but I can't." I replied exhaling a deep breath. I couldn't just leave. What if she doesn't want me? What if she doesn't need me? What if she can't forgive me? My chest tightened instantly. I felt a rush of emotion shower over me. I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't just let her go. Giving up was not an option. I was going to make sure that I saw her again, sooner or later. We belonged together.

"You always wanted to go, so go. They don't want you here. Not after what you did." The voice spoke again. Then I knew who it was. Only Emmie had been kind enough not to push me away like the rest of them did. She was the only one I had always told my secrets to. I could trust her no matter what had happened or what I had done.

"They don't want me there either." I replied, opening my eyes, and looking right at her. Her dyed hair was yet again a different colour. This time it was a light blue. "No matter what I do, they will always think I am the enemy. If I'm not like them, then I don't belong and that's not good enough. Besides, you think Hayden will allow me to move so close to Evelyn. Not a chance." I exhaled a tired breath. Emmie frowned; her scrawny face seemed even thinner now.

"You know I will always stand by you, no matter what," she said. I stared at her as her eyes looked concerned, as if she had something else to say.