XIX. Message in a bottle

I lifted myself off the floor, taking in a deep breath of courage and praying that Hayden and Phoenix were close by when I heard their voices coming from below. They were rushing up the stairs, discussing Chase.

"He's everywhere. I don't trust him. He's only here to hurt her and I know he's only around because Teo sent him here." I heard Hayden say as they turned for the flight of stairs I was sitting on. I could see his lips seal as he noticed me sitting there, but he didn't dwell on his conversation, rushing up the few steps to hug me. "Are you okay?" He asked, pulling away for a second before his hand slowly moved from my side towards my belly. Without even thinking I quickly slapped it away, smiling at Phoenix who was standing beside us, watching us, in pain. "Come on." Hayden helped me off the floor. We all continued to climb the stairs still in a rush but a little less urgently. I knew Chase was in nobody's interest but mine. They didn't care if they were going to find him alive or if he had been murdered by the demon.

We approached our cracked and dented door before I was instructed to stand aside and allow Hayden and Phoenix to take care of it. I agreed, standing aside, while they made their way in. Within their first step, I could hear glass under their feet. I could only imagine the state of our apartment.

I flinched at the sound of a loud hiss as more walls seemed to collapse and the sky seemed to be falling. My heart was beating to the sound of the crashing glass and the rumbling walls. I could hear them talking in between themselves, even laughing at times like it was all a game. I hoped their joking meant that Chase was okay and wasn't hurt.

After a long five minutes, there was suddenly silence. Nothing was moving and nobody was speaking. There was nothing for over 30 seconds before I reached out my leg to take a step towards the door and check if it was all over before a loud crash echoed in front of me and the wall came crumbling down in front of me, with a large beast buried in the middle. My hands trembled as I approached closer to inspect it. It looked dead, but I was sure that it wasn't. The beast and bricks from my wall were lying in front of me, giving me no access to my destroyed apartment.

"Will you even have time to fix all of it, before Penelope's wedding?" I could hear them laughing as they were coming towards the hole in the wall.

"I completely forgot. We haven't even picked out our outfits or a present." Hayden peeked his head through the hole looking right at me. "What are we going to wear?" He asked with a smile.

"She said lilac." I smiled as he extended his hand towards me and helped me climb through the hole in the wall. I felt my heart drop as I looked around at our ruined apartment.

"Oh my ..." I stared in awe.

"We can fix it." Hayden smiled weakly as we both scanned the room that looked like a building site more than an apartment. "Or maybe we'll just move." He smiled wider, pulling me closer towards him. It was strange that he hadn't descended into a panic. Teo had sent one of his monsters after me, yet he was weirdly cheerful.

Two dry throats cleared beside us, making us part. Having forgotten about Chase for a minute, I looked up at his defeated face. He looked tired and bruised. He smiled, brushing his hands against his shirt, before heading to climb out of the hole and leave.

"Hey, hold on," Hayden pulled him back by the collar of his shirt. "Why were you here? I appreciate you getting Eve out of harm's way, but why are you here?" Chase brushed Hayden's hand off of him, before looking at me. His look was sad and desperate.

"It's okay. Go." I nodded, moving out of his way. Both Hayden and Phoenix stared at me, waiting for an explanation as Chase climbed through the wall and disappeared instantly. I inhaled a deep breath, ready for their judgment and disagreement.