XL. My Lover

Here I was at the end of the road. Finally it was all coming to an end. The suffering had come to an end for everyone and to think that so much had happened because of one tiny little human. It doesn't seem worth it. It seemed only right to give up now. To let things fall back to how they were before me.

"Okay, I will submit myself to you if you promise to let everybody go and to leave Hayden and everyone in my family alone." I exhaled, giving into Teo. I'm sure he was going to be disappointed. No fight with so many of his titans and monsters ready and prepared.

"That seems fair. As a sign of good faith and my promise I will let them go now." Teo clicked his fingers and his army of copies hurried to the jail to break free so many more of the gods and friends than I had anticipated were under his spell. I held my head down, embarrassed to have tortured them at my own hand.

Luka yelped for me as they opened the Onyx gate and threw him into it like he was a piece of trash, like he didn't belong with them anymore. Chase had put up more of a fight, clawing at the copies, telling me to fight to not give up, begging for Teo to let me live. It's strange to see that even some of the worst can change into better and that maybe later many years later there would be a change in the way titans and gods interact. Perhaps that was the only silver lining of this war that I had started.

With almost everybody thrown into the Onyx and on the other side now, a little puppy came running up to my feet, tapping its little paws onto my feet.

"Mihai?" I bent down, petting his little head, before one of Teo's copies picked him up by his fur and threw him into the Onyx lengths away, making me cover my eyes. How could they be so cruel.

"My promises are being honoured. I think it's your time to pay up." Teo smiled, slapping his hands together as one of his copies rolled in a large table for me to lay on. It had chains and locks to hold me in place. I suppose a chance of it being painless was unrealistic. You'd have to have a heart to even consider such a thing.

I was never going to meet my child. Never going to say goodbye to Hayden or my friends. I was going to die all alone surrounded by titans. What an awful way to go.

I laid down on the table. Allowing them to cuff me and strap me in until I was hardly able to move an eyelid. Above me was an open window with cloudy skies. At least the weather could sympathise with me.

"If there are no other objections, we shall begin." I could feel the thirst inside Teo without even looking at him.

Hayden's P.O.V.

When I was a child, being raised by Rory and so many others that were not my real parents, had made me realise that it never mattered who was beside you, where they had come from never mattered as long as they loved you and cared for you. There had been many times where I considered giving my son away to someone who could raise him whole. Harley always came to mind. Harley and Rory had raised many children that were not their own, including me and they made me into who I was. They could do the same for my son. Raise him better than me. I couldn't even think about raising a baby on my own, not after losing Evelyn. There was no way that I was going to be whole enough to represent us both let alone my one self. But, how could I ever give away a piece of her. The only piece of her I was going to have left.

I'd visited every crevice of every titan infestation and Chase was no where to be found, which only meant he was with Teo. I felt like I was suffocating, not knowing where else to turn, still sitting in my car since the afternoon, not knowing where else to go or what else to do. It had been a few days and I still hadn't seen Evelyn, and perhaps that was the answer. She always knew what to do.

On my way there I noticed a small ringing in my ear. It was strange, I hadn't felt it since Mihai died. It was mildly irritating, but more than anything it made me think.

Titan tricks were clever, but what's a better place to hide and train your army than anywhere where the Onyx takes them.

I continued to drive to the hospital, but the ringing only got louder and more painful. It felt like history was repeating itself. Like Mihai was screaming Evelyn's name into my ear it was just too far to hear.

Whether I was going crazy or not, I could feel it tug at my heart and for once I needed to go with my instincts. If it was somehow Mihai calling out to me, there is no place that he could have been other than captive by Teo and Teo's only hiding place was the Onyx.

"Get everybody to the Onyx gate." I hung up the phone, racing to the hospital. Whether I liked it or not, I needed some of Evelyn's blood to open the Onyx. Even the thought of it was making me feel sick. Taking the blood of my almost dead lover to open a gate I never wanted to touch.

I rushed into the hospital only to stop at the door. How could I possibly look at her half dead in a hospital bed. It's like seeing her die before it even happens. I didn't need that preview. Inhaling a deep breath, I bent the handle and took a step inside. The monitors were beeping so loud and I didn't think I would hear anything over my own heart beat.

There was my lover, my fiancé, the mother of my child. Lifeless. My heart ached. I took her hand into mine and held it for a minute. It was cold. There was nothing recognisable about her. She'd filled my life with purpose and warmth and now she was gone. And I knew in my heart that it wasn't real. She wasn't gone. Yet. But if a titan trick could fill my heart with so much pain, how much more painful was it going to be once she is actually gone.

Seeing Evelyn only filled me with rage. I raced to meet everyone at the Onyx, ready to put an end to it all and have my Evelyn back even if it wasn't for long.