XXIX. Inevitable

Hayden's P.O.V.

Unbeknown to me, fear had infiltrated my life. It had taken over everything and I hadn't even realised how afraid I was. To lose Eve. To lose our baby. To lose the war that was slowly approaching our front. There were not nearly enough to stand with me, and many were expected to refuse. Go to war for what? A human? A demigod. My fiancée. What is it to them? Asking them to risk their lives for a human, a stranger. Willing to risk many lives for the sake of one. One. My child. Because even if Eve survived the war, she would lose her life to our child. I hadn't yet accepted it. I continued to search for a way, any way, to keep her alive. To no avail yet. But I was determined.

I spent many late nights searching for titans of my own, for beasts of my own, for an army of my own. But I had no idea that the answer to it all was in front of my face every day. Lying in my bed, inside of my lover's tummy. A little baby. An immortal. A god. A prince or a princess. A King or a Queen. No. The King or The Queen. In the most mundane way, it only took a little of our history revision and some math to figure it all out. Our baby was the next in line to be the King or Queen of the Gods. Replacing Rory and taking his throne and crown after their 19th birthday. Birthdays were to no significance before or after your 19th. It being the legal age to become a King or a Queen.

I called my brothers and a few others in for a meeting, ready to pitch my plan before ultimately giving them no choice but to save their future King or Queen. Rory was bound to the past and future rulers of all Kingdoms, and he had been complaining about having no descendants to hand his Kingdom to. I was giving him one and it was costing me everything, all he had to give me was an army.

"Get on with it then, I have other plans." Ace mumbled, leaning back in his chair as much as the backrest would allow.

"Of course, you do." I shook my head annoyed. "We're still waiting for Phoenix."

"He said he'll be late; you might as well start, and I'll brief him when he gets here." Rory looked down to his wristwatch as if he had also made other plans. I hardly ever bothered with a meeting, so surely, they were to assume that this wasn't going to be something I could have emailed.

"Alright." I inhaled a deep breath of hope and fear. Hopeful of my brothers and friends help to save Evelyn. Fearful of the inevitable end that is waiting for Evelyn no matter what. "I think you're all aware of everything that took place last year with the titans. Well, it turns out that it has come back to haunt us and Teo has summoned Evelyn to submit herself to him. Evelyn's family bloodline has been used and imprinted on the traveller Onyx gate and Teo is determined to use the last of Evelyn's blood to keep it open for as long as he can, and if in that time he manages to take over the Earth, Underworld or Olympus, the gate will remain open to all beasts and titans for as long as he wishes." Whether they liked it or not, there was always going to come to a point when we would have to go to war against Teo. He held power like no other titan and had held my title of Satan for far too long.

"No offense, but it sounds like we're better off killing her ourselves and draining her body of all blood and getting rid of both before Teo even has a chance." Everyone's heads slowly turned to Apollo. A minute of silence followed before my brain could even comprehend what he had said. I needed as much help as I could get, hence I'd invited him. My fingers snapped in reflex more than anything as he evaporated from the room and everyone else looked back at me like nothing had happened.

"Teo is building an army according to Chase and titan population supersedes the fully trained god population by hundreds of thousands. We must be smart about the way we approach this and whether we approach it at all. I am open to all ideas and discussions." I explained scattering through some notes I made with the pros and cons of every situation that I could think of. "Perhaps we could name some pros and cons and use the method of elimination." I could see Rory's expression pan down to the desk as the others seemed to still process the information.