three | dead in the water

While Dean repeatedly circled one particular picture in the newspaper, Katherine drank her coffee and eyed her surroundings

She only stopped doing that and looked at the woman standing in front of Dean when she asked him, "Can I get you anything else?"

Dean only looked up at the woman and started to smile up at her, only to stop when Sam sat on the other side of him and said, "Just the check, please."

The woman replied as she started to walk away from them, "Okay."

Katherine snorted to herself as she continued to drink her coffee, while Dean turned to Sam and said to him, "You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while. That's fun."

When Sam only stared at him, Katherine forced herself not to laugh as Dean said, "Here, take a look at this. I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin— Last week, Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water— Nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found, either. They had a funeral two days ago."

Sam said with furrowed eyebrows, "A funeral?"

Dean replied, "Yeah, it's weird. They buried an empty coffin for, uh, closure or whatever."

Sam asked him, "Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them."

Katherine put down her mug and sighed as she said to herself, "Here we go again."

Dean asked him, "Something you want to say to me?"

Sam told him, "The trail for Dad— It's getting colder every day."

Dean replied, "Exactly. So, what are we supposed to do?"

Sam said, "I don't know. Something. Anything."

Dean replied, "You know what, I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I want to find Dad as much as you do?"

Sam said, "Yeah, I know you do. It's just—"

Dean told him, "I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there, okay?"

With a shake of her head, she went back to drinking the rest of her coffee as Sam tapped the newspaper and said, "Alright, Lake Manitoc." When Dean continued to stare after the waitress, Sam said, "Hey."

Dean replied, "Huh?"

Sam asked him, "How far?"

* * *

As soon as the four of them stopped near the lake, Will Carlton told them, "She was about a hundred yards out. That's where she got dragged down."

While Katherine stared at the lake and merely eyed it, Dean asked, "And you're sure she didn't just drown?"