Chapter 26 ~ I am my own messed up being

"Come on, Trixie, ignore them." Jason whispered as he led me out of the building. I had my arms crossed over my chest and my head down, staring at the floor in order to avoid eye contact with any people passing by me. We made it outside without being stopped or talked to again; now we were in the courtyard, heading towards the steps that led to the end of the campus and into the city. "Bruce will be here soon."

Was that what being judged was like? I didn't like it. I didn't like all the stares and people commenting on my appearance, even if they were asking if I was okay I felt like they only cared about the story--not my actual well being. Like that man in the street who had stopped me, causing me to hold a small knife to his throat.

"Thank you," I said quietly. Why was I being so goddamn timid? Was this the loss of blood? The loss of identity? Was this me when I didn't know how to feel? I didn't like it. I felt weak, like anyone would be able to kill me easily.

"There's Bruce," Jason said and led me to the expensive-looking car that was approaching us at a fast rate. It came to a slick and smooth stop, allowing Jason and I to hop in the backseat. Bruce was driving, what, he didn't have people to do that for him? "Hey Bruce," Jason said warmly.

He sighed, as if Jason was an annoying friend he could not get rid of. "Jason, you're really turning into a thorn in my ass." Bruce said. So were Bruce and I going to pretend we were never arch enemies or...?

"Oh, Brucie," Jason chuckled. "I didn't know there was such a time when I wasn't a thorn in your ass."

"When I first found you, you were pretty okay."

Jason looked at me. "I was a cute kid," he muttered. The rest of the short car ride was exceedingly quiet, I didn't say a word. I just stared out the tinted window at the many tall buildings I'd jumped over before. Bruce focused on driving, and Jason put his hand on my knee and looked out the other window. Again, what was with him touching me and why did I like it?

After a few minutes we reached the manor, it was a humongous estate. It looked like royalty should have been living here rather than just a rich boy. The building towered over all the trees and everything surrounding it, there was a dead garden towards the left side of the house, and to the right there was a gigantic field, a lawn fit for a giant. Jason started walking towards the entrance, I followed for all of two steps before Bruce stopped me.

"Trixie, a word?" He said almost politely. Jason looked back at me, then Bruce, nodded, back at me, and turned around to keep walking towards the manor. I reluctantly walked over to the man behind the mask. Was he going to threaten me? Lock me up? I had that small pocket knife on me, a lighter and some cigarettes to defend myself. But in my shape, there was no way I could successfully defend myself against the Batman. "Jason trusts you, and that's not something that happens often. If you put our lives in danger or our secret goes out, I'm going to know exactly who to blame and I'm going to lock you up in Arkham; with your parents." Bruce warned.

"I know you're not still under the façade that they're my parents, Bruce."

"Jason... told you." It was more of an annoyed statement rather than him questioning my response.

"And I wish he hadn't."

"Don't take my warning lightly, Trixie. As long as you're a friend to Jason, you're welcome to stay here. If you screw up I'll be the first to put the handcuffs around your wrists."

Oh how I hated handcuffs, when I was younger the Joker and Harley didn't hire any babysitters, instead they handcuffed me to a crate in the very back of the warehouse, where no one could hear me. He always made sure the handcuff around my wrist was as tight as it could possibly go, digging into my skin roughly. And any time I tried to pull my hand out or free myself, it just dug into my skin more. I shuddered at the thought and then looked up at Bruce.

"You have my word I will not harm Jason." I said quietly. I never said anything about anyone else however...

"I hope I can trust your words more than the words of the Joker."

"Don't associate me with him anymore, I am most certainly not the Joker. No matter how many years I wished to be like him I am glad now that I am anything but a demented clown."

"So, who exactly are you?"

I thought for a moment, unsure of how to answer. "I am my own messed up being." Bruce didn't seem to have anything to say after that so I started to turn towards the manor to catch up with Jason.

"One more thing?" Bruce stopped me politely. "Are you alright?"

His question startled me, I stood dumbfounded for a moment before answering. "Why would you ask that?" I said, not knowing if he was referring to my mental state or physical state. Both had different answers.

"Well you showed up to the Gotham Academy bleeding, and according to Jason, 'acting weird'. Last time you saw him you were incredibly angry at him, and now you seem to be very close."

"I don't have the energy to be angry at Jason." I sighed. "He's not the one who deserves it."

"As for your leg? And how is your head doing?"

"I am fine."

"Let me have my doctor check you out, at least?"

"That is unnecessary but I appreciate your offer--"

"BRUCE DON'T FALL FOR IT, SHE NEEDS A DOCTOR!" We heard a shout from inside the manor. Jason was looking at us from the window, he immediately closed the curtains when we saw him.

"How could he hear us?"

Bruce rolled his eyes. "A new toy I never should have showed him." We began walking towards the manor and out of the cold, fall air. "He will be here shortly, in the meantime don't do anything too... active... until he says it is okay." It took me a moment to realize what he was saying. Was he insinuating Jason and I were going to have sex?

I was about to oppose but I just shrugged instead. Let Bruce think what he wanted.

"So..." Jason put his arm around me as we entered the manor. "Do you want to do something active?" He winked and then looked at Bruce, who just rolled his eyes and walked away from us.

"If by 'active' you mean kicking your butt, I can do that any day. Even when I can't feel my leg." I yawned.

"Oh sure..." He said. "Let's get you to a bed." I raised my eyebrow at him. "I meant for rest, get your mind out of the gutter." Jason led me towards the large staircase, I expected him to bring me back to a plain room that I only had a slight memory of, but instead he brought me to a large room with weapons and dirty clothing sprawled across the floor. There was a small TV with a video game system hooked up to it, and an unmade bed.

"What room is this?"

"This is my room." He led me over to the bed and sat down next to me on the comfortable mattress.

"How am I to rest when you're right here?"

"You've done it before."

"Have I?" I thought, and then remembered that the last time I had been there I had woken up in Jason's arms... that was embarrassing.

"You even asked me to lay with you."

"You did what the girl doped up on morphine asked you to do?" I asked, he shrugged. "I pray that is all I asked of you."

"You repeatedly asked to go home. And when I wouldn't let you leave I think you referred to it as.... 'kinky'," he laughed. I laid my head down on the mattress and he laid in front of me. We weren't touching, we weren't doing anything inappropriate, we were just looking at each other as we laid down. "You also told me I have pretty eyes."

"Well then I must have been loopy... your eyes are only okay." I lied and looked away from his stare.

"That kiss... was it only to make Clay jealous?"

I didn't answer, I just blushed and turned my body around in an attempt to hide it. Jason moved up behind me, still laying down, and wrapped a hand around me. If I was not mistaken, we were... 'spooning'. I liked it. Using my hands to hold his in front of me, I smiled. It totally wasn't just to make Clay jealous.