Alternate Ending

*This chapter will start off relavtively the same as chapter 33, but it will end differently*

"I'm sorry." I whispered over Jason's unconscious body as I shoved the front gates to the Wayne manor open, and made my escape. Bruce would be after me quickly, my best shot at getting to the Joker was to not get caught. So before I could get to him, I had to hide.

I ran as fast as my adrenaline-powered legs could carry me without looking back. I knew they would catch up to me quickly, I mean for God's sake they had the Batmobile on their side, so as soon as I made it to the city I ran into the nearest shop I could find and locked myself in the public bathroom. I wasn't sure how long I waited there, but I made sure it was long enough for Bruce and Jason to lose my trail.

As the sun started to set I made my escape from the shop I was in. It was still light outside, I had maybe an hour before it got dark. It would take me approximately that time to find where I thought the Joker and Harley were.

When they got out of Arkham they tried to hide in plain sight by forcing themselves apon a civilian household. Harley and the Joker threatened the people to let them stay there, usually a married couple in debt with a child. They were the most vulnerable. And I knew what household they were after--the last time I saw the Joker out in public he noticed a young couple with a daughter not more than six years old holding hands while walking down the street of southern Gotham. He had pointed them out, laughed and said, "What a lovely family." I knew where they lived because he wanted me to follow them to their apartment. It was a building covered in graffiti, a ratty place that looked as if it should be condemned. Their apartment was number 2B and that was where I was going to find my adoptive parents; maybe even before he killed the family. I still had Lila's pocket knife with me, that would be enough to defend myself if necessary.

"Trixie, stop!" Someone grabbed my arm and yanked me back. Robin. Goddamn it! "Please, talk to me."

"Let me go!" I shouted and shoved his arm off of me. That didn't really help my predicament, Jason just grabbed my arm again and dragged the both of us to the nearest alley for some privacy.

"I can't let you do anything you'll regret."

"You don't know what I am going to do."

"What are you going to do?"

I gritted my teeth angrily. "It does not concern you." Before Jason could let out another word, we heard hysterical laughing muffled by the walls of the apartment above us. The Joker was killing them with laughing gas now, and I had to go. "Jason, let me go!"

"I'll be watching," he promised and released my arm. I didn't have time to go through the main entrance, so I let myself in by going up their fire escape and breaking in a glass window. I had located it because of the sounds of laughter.

The room I had crawled into was clearly the only bedroom in the apartment, there was one large bed and a twin sized bed with pink sheets on the other side of the room. It was empty, so I opened the door to see three lifeless bodies laying down with wide eyes and a forced smile on their face. I bent down to check the pulse of the little girl... nothing.

"Well well well..." A voice I would never forget cackled in front of me.. I looked up and stood to my feet, the small pocket knife in my hands. The Joker stood in front of me, dressed in his purple uniform and all. The scars on his cheeks were more noticeable now... thanks to me, there was red blood stains over his white face paint. He did not look angry though, he looked amused. Harley was right behind him, not knowing what to think. "Harley, our girls' returned." Mister J said over his shoulder.

I held up the small pocket knife, the blade pointing towards him, to show him I was armed. He knew what I was capable of, but he still laughed it off.

"Oh have you come to decorate me more? I do love what you did to me the other day. Harley I think this is a new record for escaping the asylum, security just isn't what it used to be..." He shook his head mockingly. "So what are you going to do with that thing?" He nodded towards my knife, laughing. I stared at him for a moment, debating on what it was I was choosing.

My decision was clear now--or at least as clear as it was ever going to get--I suppose I alway knew this would be the inevitable outcome of the Joker and I.

I dropped the pocket knife in my hands after staring at them with a blank expression, shame drawn across my face.

"That's what I thought." Mister J chuckled as he took a step nearer to me. "You see, Trixie dear; I own you." He was close enough now to touch me, and he raised a hand and gently stroked it across my cheek. I tensed my body to avoid shuddering at his cold, soulless touch. "You were always quite obedient." Mister J smiled and began walking around the dead bodies of the family that had lived in this apartment.

"I..." I said to him, not daring to look him directly in the eye. "I've returned." Mister J chuckled at first, and then his laugh echoed throughout the room. It seemed to last for ages, Harley looked both nervous and angry behind him, as if she was annoyed that I hadn't been hit or killed by him yet.

"Turns out you may be worth something afterall. Your loyalty is questionable, though." The Joker said nonchalantly as he paced around the room, taking a flask out of his pocket. "Let's be honest the only reason I haven't killed you yet is because you're more bearable than Harley, am I right?" He chuckled and nudged Harley, who seemed to be crushed by his comment. "So I'll go ahead and say this, if you go against us again I'll blow up the Gotham Academy."

"Why would I care for that?" I said with a hidden sense of fear, I actually cared about that school. These feelings needed to stop.

"You can't fool me, Trixie." He chuckled and began to poor the remnants of his flask on the ground, splashing it over the bodies and the rug under them. It had a familiar scent, the scent of gasoline.

This was it. This was what my life had always been and would always be. No matter how much I hated him for lying to me, I could not go against my master. I'm sorry Jason. I'm sorry Bruce. I can't. I had to do it because I was weak. I had to do it for the academy. This was where I belonged, it was best for everyone. Including Jason. He wouldn't have to worry about me screwing up anymore.

"That school has changed you," He said as he finished pooring the gasoline out of his flask. "So as a test, I'm going to keep you there. If you are truly loyal, you will remain as the deranged lunatic we've become fond of even as you're attending school. If you are not worth our time, it will show." Mister J took a box of matches out of his pocket slowly, examining them plainly.

"I'm here now," I said sternly, once I was sure my voice wouldn't crack or shake. I was not the Joker. I wasn't Trixie Anastastia Quinn either, I wasn't my own person. I was a spawn of the Joker. That's all I would ever amount to. Trixie Anastasia Quinn was supposed to be strong. I was weak, I was nothing more than one of the Joker's goons.

"Oh, and as for the boy wonder who's waiting in the room behind you," Mister J laughed and Harley's eyes widened. "He's welcome to keep this lovely family company." He tossed the lit box of matches on the bodies covered in gasoline and turned to Harley to follow her out the door. I was about to manuver my way over to them, avoiding the sudden eruption of flames when someone caugh my arm.

"Trixie!" Jason called, I could see a hint of anger and pain in his eyes. As if he couldn't believe I was betraying him. It made me feel sorrow, but that had to stop. "Don't do this!" If he didn't let me go soon, we'd both perish. He glanced down in horror at the dead, burning bodies and then back up at me with the same look of betrayal in his eyes as he'd held a moment ago. The room had suddenly become exceptionally and uncomfortably hot, I was sweating in my uniform. I looked at Jason for a moment and my body became slightly less tense. I took a step towards him, kissed him on the cheek as a tear strolled down my face, and then looked him in the eye again. My gentle action had caused him to drop my arm. "Don't go," he said over the flames that surrounded us.

"I'm sorry." And with my final words, my sincere words, I took my leave, bouncing over the flames that licked all over me. I raced after Harley and the Joker, my adoptive parents.

Jason Todd's POV.

With her words the realization of my situation hit me. I made my escape as the fire started to spread and the sounds of sirens erupted from the street. I was too late to save the family that lived here. Those poor people, those poor victims.

Trixie's words of apology were sincere, and with her last two words I knew she wasn't evil. She certainly wasn't like the Joker, she was so much more than that. I had to find her, to prove it to her. I had to protect her from the inevitable punishment from the Joker. He'd kill her.

I doubted Bruce would understand that Trixie wasn't a villain, he would see her as the daughter of his arch enemy as he had before. But I knew the truth, Trixie Anastasia Quinn, or Trixie Dawes--whoever she was, she was most certainly a girl with a heart.

How could she do this to me?