Chapter 24 ~ Good intentions

"You were just crying on my shoulder, now you're mad at me again?" Jason scoffed.

"What can I say?" I shrugged. "I'm a bitch. I take after my father." I hissed. "Leave me alone, Jason. If you know whats good for you."

Jason sighed and turned around. Was he finally giving up? Too little too late.

"If you need anything, Trixie, you know where to find me." He said as he left the warehouse. I didn't fall to my knees and cry like I wanted to when he was gone. I looked over at the wooden crate I had beaten, imagining it was the Joker. I was going mad, more so than before. there was a large hole in the crate, large enough for me to grab the explosives I needed and destroy the place, maybe with me along with it.

I looked down at my wounded legs, an idea sprouting in my mind. I didn't need to blow the place up, I just needed to end it.

I made a large clear spot on the concrete floor, shoving everything out of my way--old newpapers regarding the Batman and robin and other assorted vigilantes, two bloody pieces of wood, and anything else in my way I angrily pushed aside so I had created a large blank spot on the floor. I used the sharper end of the crowbar and brought it to my leg, running it down my wounded skin roughly so the blood started to flow and pour down my thigh. I tossed the crowbar aside and ignored the new stinging pain I had just caused myself. I put my hand on my leg and covered it in my own blood, that's when I started decorating. I didn't smear my blood all over the warehouse, I just wrote two large words in red on the cleared spot. Two words that would warn idiots to stay away from here and never return.

'The End'

The words read. The end of the Joker's reign, because I would kill him sooner or later. The end of this warehouse used as a hideout for other law breakers. The end of my old life.

I didn't cover my bleeding leg as I made my way out of the building into the cool city of Gotham. I didn't know where I would go, or what I would do at that exact moment. But I knew what my new life goal was, it was not to impress the Joker, but to destroy that son of a bitch for once and all. But I needed somewhere to go, and sooner or later Lila's father would realize he was feeding two teenage girls rather than one. I couldn't continue mouching off of her.

I started walking into the city, blood dripping down my leg and all. I ignored the stares I was getting, they probably noticed the yellowing bruise on my cheek as well. I also ignored the people who were asking me if I was alright, I just stared blankly ahead and walked.

"Hey kid, didn't you hear me asking if you were okay--" someone said as they grabbed me and forced me to face them. On instinct I pulled the knife I had on me and held it to the man's throat as he spoke to me. He looked down at my shaking hand holding the small weapon. "The hell with you," he said and released my arm. I hadn't realized what had just happened until he released my arm and started walking away from me down the crowded sidewalk of Gotham.

It wasn't even noon, and then I looked down at my outfit and decided I knew where I should go. It was Monday, after all, and school was still in session. It wasn't too far away from here, either.

It was the obnoxious lunchtime, and Jason was sitting on a bench in the courtyard looking at his cell phone. Good, so he was easy enough to find. I walked up the steps that led to the school's campus, once again ignoring the weird stares I got as I approached Jason. He looked up quickly and then did a double take as he realized who I was.

"Are you okay?" He said and stood up quickly, putting a hand to my shoulder as if he was determinded to catch me if I fainted right then and there. "Why is it every time I see you you're covered in blood?" I looked down at my leg, the bleeding had stopped but the blood was still there, and it had stained my high socks. "What are you doing here?"

"I didn't know where else to go." I said quietly. "And..." I took a deep breath and finally rounded up the courage to say my next words. "I'm sorry."

"Maybe this isn't the time or place for that," he chuckled and hugged me once again. What was with him touching me? "But seriously, we should get that leg checked out. I can bring you to Bruce--"

"Wait it's still lunch, isn't it?" I said as he started pushing me towards the exit of the school campus.

"Yeah..."

"Let's have a smoke."

"Are you high? You're covered in blood. This is not the time for a cigarette, Trixie."

"Oh my god, Anya, what happened to you?" An annoying, but familiar voice said as someone approached Jason and I. I had almost forgotten that was what people knew me as here. I turned around slowly to see Clay putting a hand on my should, mimicking Jason. Seriously, though, what was it with people thinking they were allowed to touch me all the sudden? "Let me take you to the nurse."

"You're so helpful Clay, but I've got it covered." Jason said in an aggravated tone. I kept my innocent, blank expression. I didn't exactly know how to feel about everything all the sudden, so the idiotic facial expression was the only one I could manage.

"Funny, cause the nurse is that way." Clay's hand tensed on my shoulder. "Come on, let's go." Clay attempted to put one of my own arms over his shoulder so he could support most of my weight, but I took my hand away from him and looked at Jason.

"I'm sorry for blaming you." I said to him.

"Are you feeling okay?" Jason lifted an eyebrow. "Damn maybe we should take you to the nurse, I'll text Bruce to come get us." He said and took my hand to do the same thing Clay had attempted, he was trying to help me by supporting my weight. I took my hand away from him as well.

"I made it this far on my own."

Both Jason and Clay walked beside me as they led me to the nurse's office. I didn't oppose in going because they were persistant with telling me I needed to be looked at. Both of them kept giving me and each other glances as we walked, but I didn't say anything and I kept my stare ahead of myself as we went down the hallway. When the nurse saw me she gasped and nearly fainted, hurriedly forcing me to lay down on an uncomfortable cot. She assured the boys that I didn't need them here, but--much to Clay's dismay--I asked her if Jason could stay.

"No you don't need him here," she hissed.

"Then I'll go somewhere else." I started to sit up.

"No!" The elder woman snapped at me. "Fine, he can stay." She sounded annoyed. The woman quickly cleaned up the blood and then proceeded to wrap my leg in gauze. I didn't look away from the ceiling, and I saw Jason hadn't moved either, out of the corner of my eye. "I'm going to go contact your parents, I will be right back." She assured me. There wouldn't be a number in the record book, if there was it would be a disposable cell phone that had either already been thrown away, or still belonged to Gregor and he probably wouldn't answer. If he did anything but ignore the message I'd find him and keep my promise to curb stomp him.

"So... you apologized." Jason said, leaning back in his chair. I looked over at him, my hands folded across my stomach and shrugged.

"Don't take it too lightly, that doesn't happen often."

"Why were you so mad at me?"

"Because I need to be mad at someone."

"Who are you really mad at?"

"I don't know." I sighed. "Myself for being stupid enough to have been lied to my entire life. I'm mad at Harley and the Joker for being the ones who lied to me. And I'm mad at you for bringing up the realization, even though I know you had good intentions."