Chapter Nine

This chapter is dedicated to all of you wonderful readers! From the previous chapter and onwards, there'll be more action going on, and secrets revealed. 

Who are these people? You've probably guessed. But what is Emma really?

Send me messages to try to figure it out, and if you've got any ideas, do the same, 'cause I always need a bit of inspiration :-)

Enjoy!

-Sophia xoxo

...°...

You remember that feeling that you get once your eyes are closed and sunlight hits your face? How splotches of colour seem to appear inside the lids like shaded raindrops falling onto a glass pane and stretching before disappearing? How you want to grab those splotches, or to twirl them in between your fingers, or even to just hold onto the hypnotising dance for a while longer before they disappear? They always disappear.

Back home, in my barely moved-into bedroom, the window lets in a lot of light in the morning. It's a bit infuriating at times when I'm woken by the white light simmering through the clouds at the earliest hours of the morning, but I've gotten used to it, and now I find pleasure in its comfort that I know to be home. If what I'm experiencing right now is the same as what I experience at home, then I can't be in a cave, can I? Which means that it was all just a stupid, horrible, senseless nightmare. 

I exhale in relief, turning over, prepared to fall asleep again. My bed feels extremely comfortable, and in this moment it feels like my own little safe haven. I nudge a silky pillow under my arm and hug it like a teddy bear, pulling comfort for that simple homely gesture. 

Wait - Silk?

My pillows are only made out of white or navy blue soft cotton, certainly not silk. I sit up hastily, fumbling my way through masses of luxurious duvets and silky sheets. I'm melting under the warmth and effort it takes through the process. All of this luxury is heavy! But I don't have luxury in my bed... just plain, simple, but comfortable cotton and linen. It's what I know to be home. So where am I?

I'm lying in a grand king-sized sky bed, with falling drapes of a deep red intwining the dark wooden posters on the four corners of the bed. I'm surprised by the darkness of the wallpaper and the mahogany floor, decorated by even darker furniture. The rare light that comes in through the large windows is filtrated through the thundery clouds. My vision of happiness and joy of sleeping in late is completely clouded by the gloom.

'Where am I?'  I think to myself again. I try to scramble through my mind but it's like reaching blindly into a black hole. 

I hesitantly get out of the bed, so that my tiptoes are brushing against the cold floor as I sit on the edge of the luxurious mattress. Chills go from my toes to the crown of my head when I realise that I'm wearing a simple, black and - very - short satiny night gown. What's going on?

"Enjoying your stay?" My head whips towards the door and my eyes immediately cloud with anger that I didn't know that I felt at first. I stumble to my feet and march over to Chase, trying to appear threatening. I fail miserably. His size overtakes my petite figure as I punch him in the chest. He doesn't budge.

Really though?

"What the hell have you done with my sister!?" I shout, punching him repeatedly until he grabs my wrists and holds them still, annoyance clear on his attractive face. He blows a strand of hair out of the way impatiently that had fallen over his green eyes.