Chapter Three

"Yo Emma!" I look around until I spot Brad, hurrying towards me, trailing every girl's eyes with him. I know he's captain of the football team, and yes, he's kind of hot, but this attention is completely unnecessary for me. Yes, you heard me; Brad's been following me everywhere since I started two days ago and let's just say that I'm getting kind of used to his attention. 

As he hugs me tightly, I notice that same girl from Mr Arwin's class the first day, mind-stabbing me. 

"Umm, Brad?" I breathe out against his hug, my eyes frozen on the girl who quickly directs her hateful gaze from me and continues speaking with her group of girlfriends. He lets go off me with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah?"

-Who's that girl over there?" I ask, indicating her with my eyes. She glances at us again but swiftly turns her back on us as he follows my gaze and sighs.

"Angelina Fiord." He replies, "She's had this creepy stalker crush on me since 5th grade. It's kinda weird." I chuckle and he looks at me, grinning. 

"Let's go get some lunch. I'm starving!" He says, casually switching the subject at my laughter and swinging his arm over my shoulders. This draws some pairs of eyes on us as we walk into the student-filled cafeteria.

When I first step in, I smell the familiar cheap canteen food that I've gotten used to from the previous school that I attended. From what I can see from standing here at the entrance, the view of the food today hasn't improved over the days. Brad guides me over to the usual table.

Yes, there's a usual table now. He's integrated me into his group so quickly that I've hardly remembered some of the names of his friends. A couple of his football teammates are already there, and they've kind of gotten used to me being with them, even though that doesn't stop them from being disgusting and pervy. I merely sit there silently most of the time and try to contain the urge to slap them all from the thoughts that they have when a pretty-looking girl walks by the table once in a while. 

When we sit down with our trays, Brad immediately engages in a heated conversation with one of his teammates, which I zone out, as usual. As I twirl my fork around in the questionable food on my plate my eyes also sweep over the crowded cafeteria. They settle onto a brooding form sitting nearby, alone at a table. The people walking by either avoid his piercing gaze with ducked heads and heavy steps or are immediately rejected by him when they try to sit at his table. Seemingly feeling my gaze on him, he raises his eyes to meet mine and his expression morphs into one of deeper annoyance. He glares at Brad beside me, who still has his arm around me. 

I shrug Brad's arm off, and my brooding maths class neighbour immediately looks away coldly.

"Brad?" I ask Brad, cutting him off in his discussion with his friends.

-What's up?" He shoots, directing his full attention to me. 

"The sky." I retort, and he looks at me with 'are-you-serious?' eyes. "What?"

-That was lame." He says nonchalantly, and I glare playfully at him. I nod towards the guy in question sitting completely still at his own table.

"What's his name?"

-Who's?" Brad asks, feigning ignorance. I want to slap him so hard in that moment.

-You know who." I reply sharply. He sighs and leans back in his chair, rocking back and forth with annoyance.

"Jay Jakobs." He mumbles. I raise an eyebrow at his answer. "Yeah, I know it's a weird combination but I guess his parents didn't like him very much." 

I punch him lightly in the arm and he grins, winking. 

Damn she's hot.

"Don't say a thing like that." I say, as his thought hits me suddenly. The whole table stops their conversations to look at me.