Chapter Twenty Seven - Better Than Words

The Reject – Chapter Twenty Seven

Better than words
But more than a feeling (ow)
Crazy in love
Dancing on the ceiling
Ah, woo
I don't know how else to sum it up
'Cause words ain't good enough, ow
I can't explain your love, no

It's better than words ~
Better Than Words – One Direction

Evan was asleep by the time we both reached his room. A huge grin came to my face as I saw him sprawled messily across his bed with unpacked clothes all over his room. Mama Ebony muttered with a smile ‘Untidy as ever, my son’ making me laugh.

The next day, the first thing I did before school was give Mama Ebony’s house a secret visit. I met up with Evan. He was pretty surprised when I walked through the doors as he was reading the daily newspaper. Turned out our little prankster Mama hadn’t told him about my unfortunate (or fortunate) return to the pack yet, hoping to shock him. It worked, alright. As soon as he saw me, he tried to stand up but ended up falling from the couch instead, making us laugh. I immediately ran and threw myself at hi once he managed to fight gravity and straighten himself.

He had become bigger, more muscular. I could definitely see his arms with the tight white tee he was wearing. ‘Been working out, huh?’ I teased. ‘You’re the one to talk, eh?’ he teased back and I fought back tears. I’ve missed him. A lot. Our bear hug ended when there was a flash and we both let go of each other to look at Mama Ebony pointing a camera at us with tears in her eyes. I “aww’d” and we all had a big tight group hug. ‘Family reunion!’ Mama choked, and we all laughed.

Evan was enlightened with my epic story, filled with awesomeness, amazingness, and awesomeness over pancakes and coffee/hot chocolate, our breakfast, after which I left for school. When I returned to my pack house to get my bag, I found Grey waiting by the footsteps with it. ‘Morning, Jessie.’ He smiled and I grinned back at him, feeling happy. ‘Evan’s back!’ I told him about what had happened as he drove us to school. The others had already left, and Grey had stayed back to give me a ride. Hmm, rides wouldn’t be a problem now as Evan was back. That old grandpa Evan can drop me anywhere I want. I grinned thinking about him. Grey was less excited than I’d thought he’d be, but my excitement didn’t lower a bit. Not to mention the thought of meeting a certain silver-eyed student for the last day of prop-making made my stomach feel weird. I need water. Or maybe some lemonade.

As soon as I made my entry outside the car and into the school building, I was dragged away by someone sent by Mrs. C to escort me immediately to the drama room. From the corner of my eye, I saw Ashley pulling Jace towards the drama room as well. We made eye contact, and he smiled at me. There was that weird feeling in my stomach again. I need to tell Mrs. C I need water.

As soon as we entered the Drama Room, Mrs C ushered us towards the props for the finishing touches. We were given an entire day free of studies today for preparation for the Battle of The Plays, but it was gonna be a day full of Mrs C torture. Lucky or unlucky: a matter of great debate. Tomorrow, we would all leave in a big bus to Gateout, where the battle was being held. It was a pretty developed town. We would be staying there for 6 days, as there will be only one battle per day, meaning each school had a whole day dedicated to their play. Imagining a trip with Ashley, Noah, Jace and I gives me chills. Noah…

I stopped painting and looked around the room for Noah. I found him practicing his role with Hayden, the main girl. I sighed through my nose. I heard someone sigh from next to me. As I turned around to look at Jace, I felt something rub against my nose. Jace started snickering and my expressionless face turned to a face of complete horror as I discovered what he was laughing about: he had painted my nose red! I looked at him, trying to show him a very angry face, but a smile was fighting very hard to break through. I bet my face looked hilarious at that moment. It so did, if the way he doubled over laughing was any sign at all. ‘JAAAACE!’ I gave out a war cry before jumping on him with my huge paint brush and rubbed it all over his face. Or tried to. He was too good at dodging! In the end it became a full on war between us, as I tried to cover his face in painted and he held my wrists away from his precious show of perfection. We both were laughing, so loudly now. It was really hilarious. I bet it looked hilarious. Everyone was looking at us, including Noah and Mrs  C, and that lady actually smiled, letting a bit of nervous steam off.