Chapter Fourteen - Who Knows

I think there's something more, life's worth living for
Who knows what could happen. 
Do what you do, just keep on laughing
One thing's true, there's always a brand new day
I'm gonna live today like it's my last day 
            ~ Who Knows – Avril Lavigne

‘So wait – you’re telling me that the Hot Guy called you Jessie – which means that he know you- but you don’t know him?’

‘Yep.’ I nodded my head at Ashley. ‘Or maybe you don’t remember him.’ She added.

I shrugged ‘Probably.’.

She groaned ‘How can you forget someone like that?’

What I wanted to tell her was “Actually Ashley, you can’t. That’s why he hasn’t left my mind since I was twelve.”

But what I actually, stupidly said was ‘He isn’t that hot.’ which earned me a shocked look from her.

‘What!’ I said defensively with a shrug.

‘If-‘ she pointed at a random classroom ‘that –The Hot Guy, not the classroom- isn’t hot then I don’t know what is!’

‘You’re being dramatic.’ I told her with a roll of my eyes, but I knew that Jace was an unusually good-looking human. His eyes, weren’t usual, his pale and cold skin wasn’t usual. But of course, he wasn’t a Vampire, he smelled human, didn’t he?

Before we turn sixteen, us werewolves smell human, think human, act human. In one sentence, we are humans. It’s only when we hit a certain age do the werewolf genes in our blood wake up and get to work.

Usually, it’s sixteen, but of course, that wasn’t the case for me.

‘Well, sue me for thinking a guy is hot!’ She said defensively. I just grinned and rolled my eyes again as we walked towards the cafeteria.

We both took chicken burgers with fries and sat down at our usual table except, the rest of the pack wasn’t here. I sighed.

Ashley nudged me as I was about eat my burger. ‘What?’ I asked, annoyed. I was hungry!

She scowled at me ‘Stop eating and look there, will you?’

I looked where she was pointing and saw Jace sitting across the cafeteria. His table was filled with girls, the populars, and he looked annoyed. Feeling’s mutual.

‘So what?’ I asked, finally taking a bite. The bad feeling in my stomach was making me more annoyed. Of course it’s not jealousy! I just hadn’t eaten anything for breakfast.

 Other than the two pancakes with the mango juice. Don’t forget the lollipop.

‘Let’s call him here!’ She said enthusiastically. ‘No.’

‘What? Why not?’ she pouted.

‘Because!’

‘I’m going to do it.’ She said and stood up. I scowled at her. Then I looked at the roof and muttered ‘Why must I be stuck in these types of situations?’

I looked back at Jace’s table to find him staring at me with an amused expression. I scowled at him too. What’s so funny? It’s not like he can hear me.

I can’t be close to Jace. God knows what might happen if we start liking each other again.

I watched as Ashley approached his table. The werewolf girls immediately looked annoyed and scooted away. But they didn’t leave his table. I could hear Ashley if I wanted to but I decided to let it go. Today would be the only day he would be sitting with us, anyway. The pack will be here tomorrow.