Chapter twenty-seven

"Mom?"

I stood under the wooden staircase while Aaron went off into the kitchen to "Examin what you've got," or something along those lines.

Mom came down the stairs a few moments later, "Hey, Kat, you're back early."

I followed her into the kitchen.

"Aaron!" She exclaimed, beaming, when she found him looking around the kitchen. I almost rolled my eyes.

"Hello," he said awkwardly.

I sent him an amused grin, he scowled back.

"Do you two have plans for today?" She asked.

"Actually," I said, "we were wondering if we could help with your oders today."

She sighed in relief, "That would be perfect, I could really use some help with the incing and some of the deliveries."

"Great, can we start now?"

She nodded, "Yes. Thank you so much, it means a lot."

"It's a pleasure," Aaron said, his charm apeared again, along with his award winning smile.

My mom wiggled her eyebrows in my direction and this time I couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes. "Mom."

"Right," she said, pulling out pre-made cupcakes and setting them on the counter.

"You know where to find the icings and piping bags," she said.

"Yeah, where are you going?"

"Grocery." She replied, shouldering her handbag which I didn't notice earlier.

I frowned, "You were there yesterday."

She winked,"Have fun. Nice seeing you again Aaron."

I stared after her until she shut the front door behind her. "What just happened?"

"She left to get more grocery," Aaron smirked.

I shook my head, "That woman..."

He laughed, "C'mon, let's get started."

"But she didn't even tell us what the orders are." I said.

Aaron pointed at the post-it notes on the fridge.

"Oh. Let's start then." I said.

I found the icing, the piping bags, and other decorating utensils we'd need. I started making some cream for certain types of cupcakes.

"Do you know how to pipe?" I asked Aaron, pulling out a bag of sugar grains from the cupboards.

"I tried a couple of times, I think I can do it again if I practice a bit." He said, watching me as I worked.

I pulled out some paper towels and said, "Practice on these."

He raised an eyebrow. Rolling my eyes, I filled a piping bag with icing and handed it to him. "My mom had piping lessons last summer and I would hop in sometimes."

"Fine. But just saying, I'm already good at this."

"Prove it," I challenged.

"Will do," he smirked and turned to one of the counters to start practicing on the paper towels.

I turned back to making the cream and then set it aside in a bowl. I read a couple of post-it notes and glanced back at Aaron.

"The two parties are both just a couple blocks away. You got your car?"