Chapter 5

Elijah's POV
I couldn't stop myself from feeling a little angry or resentment when Stefan had accepted the offer from Jeremy, to stay at their house for a while. I knew that Stefan loved Elena more than he ever loved any one before, excluding Katerina of course.
After Stefan went home to retrieve a few bags I went up to Elena, she was curled up on her bed, she looked so adorable. I stood there for a while, just leaning on the doorway looking at her. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her, even though I never liked the eldest Salvatore brother, Elena did and it caused her so much pain knowing that he had gone and took his own life. And her in pain caused me pain.
"Elena?" I asked.
She sat up and nodded to say I could come in.
"Are you okay?" I asked as I closed her door behind me and walked over to her.
"I can't believe he's gone, he's actually gone,"
Elena started to cry again and it pained me even more. I sat down next to her and pulled her into a hug, she hugged me back as she cried into my shoulder, but I didn't mind.
"Sweet Elena, you'll be okay,"
"I can't believe I'm doing this? Why am I the one who's crying? Stefan's lost his brother, Alaric has lost his best friend, all our friends have lost him. And I'm here crying, this isn't fair,"
Elena stood up and starting pacing around her room. I was so shocked as to how she thought that she couldn't cry over her friends death. I told her otherwise, but she just objected. She stood still for a while, not saying anything, I asked what was wrong but she didn't answer.
"I've got to go out, I'll be back later. I'll ring you, okay?" She said finally.
Before I could say anything she was gone.

Elena's POV
I told Elijah that I would be back later and ran out of the house, bumping into Stefan on the way out. He was about to say something but I cut him off by saying that I had to be somewhere. Like Elijah, I didn't give him any time to reply.
I set off to the woods, when I got there I sat down under a tree and looked up to the sky. A full moon. I closed my eyes and thought about the time when we all thought that Damon was going to die, due to a werewolf bite. I remembered the moment when I kissed him, it was just a goodbye kiss it meant nothing, but to him it meant hope. He tried so hard to change himself for me, but one little thing could result in him spiralling. I then thought about the faces he made when I was with Stefan and how he told me he loved me and that he couldn't be selfish with me, but compelled me to forget it. I remembered how caring he was when he wasn't such a obnoxious bastard. But then my thoughts were intercepted by a growl. My eyes shot open and I realised I was face to face with a werewolf.
I tried to kick it away from me but it quickly came back towards me, it jumped onto of me and whilst I tried to push it off, I could feel it's hot breath in my face as its wet saliva dropped on to me. But everything went black for a quick second, I quickly regained my strength and pushed it off, resulting in it running off. I sighed a relieved sigh, but then a stinging sensation came down from my shoulder, I assumed it was probably from falling and walked home.

Elijah's POV
We all waited in Elena's living room for her to return, she had been 2 hours now. Even though we tried not to show it, we were all worried. Then Elena walked through the door, me and Stefan looked strangely to each other, we smelt blood but it wasn't human blood. Jeremy saw the way we looked at each other and automatically jumped to a conclusion.
"Elena! What the hell?" He shouted as she walked into the living room.
"What?" She asked, shocked as the rest of us.
"You fed!" He shouted back.
"What, no, Jer. I didn't?"
"Well, it's not what these two vampires think!"
He pointed towards me and Stefan. She looked angrily over at us.
"We didn't say anything, all we did was look at each other, because we smelt blood," Stefan spat out.
"Oh, I got into a fight with a werewolf," she said calmly.
We all jumped up and shouted in sync.
"What? I'm fine!" She shouted back.
"Elena, what happened?" I asked.
"I was in the woods, thinking. And I opened my eyes and there was a werewolf there, but I didn't get hurt,"
I walked up to her and softly held her face.
"Are you sure, Elena?" I asked quietly.
She looked at me with her eyes full of love and desire and said, "I'm okay, honestly,"
I nod and she admitted that she was tired and wanted to go to bed. We all said goodnight and she walked up the stairs. But when she got to the top step she stopped, we turned to see what was going on. She still didn't move so we got back up and looked up the stairs to her, she turned to face us. She scanned our faces but when she came to mine, she stopped. She stared at me, she looked so confused and upset.
"Damon?" She asked.