Chapter 36

Klaus' POV
I was the one who was made to deal with Katerina's body, me out of all people. I sighed and pulled her arm and dragged her into the front yard, but before I set her alight I looked down to her face and remembered how much pain and anger was rushing through me when I thought it was Elena's body. I knelt down to her and held her face, "That wasn't the plan, Katerina," I whispered.
Katerina was going to be the one who was going to convince Elijah that he loved her, she was going to be the one that drove Elena to me. But she was never supposed to pull the acts she had played in the past week or so! She took it too far and as always, someone ended up dead - well, in this case it was her.
I sighed and tipped a bottle of bourbon over her, I then lit a match and then threw it onto her. I watched her as she burned, I remembered the time when I first met her and how different she was. The little girl who was in desperate need of a home.
--The Next Day--
I was sitting in my study reading a book of poems when Rebekah came and joined me, "Nik, I'm bored." She sighed.
"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked and carried on reading.
"I was wondering, can I go to Elena's?"
"Why are you asking me?"
"I don't know, usually I would ask Elijah but that's pointless now. But would you like to come?"
I sighed and put my book down, I turned to her and replied, "Fine. Just don't tell anyone we're going, they would just like to accompany us,"
She smiled and nodded, I smirked and we both stood up and walked to the front door, but we were stopped by Kol.
"Where are you going?" He asked with his arms crossed when he stood in front of the front door.
"Out," I replied bluntly.
He stared at us for a while before rolling his eyes and moving out of the way, Rebekah thanked him and we walked out of the house and to my car.

Elena's POV
I stood in my room staring at my bed, the bed where I stayed in and sulked for 2 months when Elijah left, and where I stayed there for nearly a week when he kissed Katherine. I was so sick of sulking and staying in bed, so I decided to go out. I got changed into a black top, black jeans and some white converses and walked out of my house, I avoided Jeremy and Alaric they'd just ask me questions otherwise. I walked to The Grill and sat down at the bar. I ordered some bourbon and compelled the bartender to fill me up every time my glass was empty. After about 2 bottles of bourbon I felt my phone started to vibrate in pocket, I sighed and took it out - it was Rebekah.
"Hey," I answered and took another swig of my drink.
"Where are you? Me and Nik came round but you weren't there," she replied.
"Yeah, I'm out."
"Where?"
"I've gotta go, I'll talk later."
I ended the call and went back to my drinking, I rested my arms on the bar and sighed.
"What's up?" Asked the bartender. I looked at her name tag and saw she was called Eiri.
"Nothing, I'm fine." I stated.
She raised her eyebrows at me and I laughed.
"Fine, just boyfriend - well, ex boyfriend problems," I said.
"Join the club," she replied.
She poured herself a drink and raised it up, "To ex boyfriends," she said proudly.
"To ex boyfriends," I replied as I clinked my glass with hers.
We chuckled and drunk our drinks, and then some guy came and sat on the other end of the bar and she went to serve him. I looked at the guy and I realised it was the witch who saved me the night before.
"Hey," he said with a wave.
"Hi," I replied as I raised my once again full glass.
I went back to facing the front but then someone came and sat next to me, "Bourbon, please," said the voice.
I looked and saw Elijah, the bartender gave him his drink and I scoffed and stood up, I then walked out and saw it was getting dark. I walked to the direction of the cemetery and ignored everyone who tried to speak to me. When I got to the cemetery I slumped down in front of my parents' gravestone and sighed.
"Hi, I know I've not visited in a while I've been busy," I began. "I just - just need advice, I don't know what to do anymore." My voice cracked.
I looked down to my hands and I felt tears fall from my eyes, "Please just let me know what I should do?" I begged.
I waited and sat there until it got dark, I wiped my eyes and kissed my fingers and then placed them on the gravestone.
"I love you." I whispered.
I stood up and began to walk home, I decided to walk slowly as I had no reason to get there quickly. As I walked back into town, someone grabbed my arm and spun me around to face them.
"What the hell?" I asked.
The man was smiling down at me and he had brown hair that came to his shoulders.
"You know, you tasted delicious," he whispered.
"Excuse me?" I said disgusted.
"It was about 3 months ago now, wasn't it?" He cocked his eyebrow.
I narrowed my eyes and tried to pull myself out of his grip, but he was stronger.
"How -" I began.
"-I wouldn't do that if I were you," he said angrily.
"Let me go!"
"No can do, darling. You tasted far too delicious last time,"
His eyes then turned golden and his facial features started to change.
"You're a hybrid," I gasped.
He smirked and I then quickly got out of his grip and went to snap his neck but he grabbed my hands and squeezed them until we could both hear the crushing sound of my bones. I groaned in pain and he kicked me in my knees, causing me to fall to the floor. I felt my fangs appear and I quickly stood up and growled at him, he growled back and I went to strangle him, I tightened my grip around his neck and he repeatedly tried to push my hand away but I was getting angrier so I was getting stronger. He then pulled my hands away from his throat and I then threw my hand into his chest, he gasped in pain and spluttered out blood as I gripped his heart harder. I knew it wouldn't kill him but it still had an affect. I had to be careful though or I would find myself getting bitten again, by the same werewolf. I looked into his eyes and saw the pain and fear I was causing him, I felt a huge pang of guilt run through me and I immediately pulled my hand out of his chest, without his heart. He looked down to his chest and sighed in relief, his eyes then turned back golden and he threw me across the road, he then ran to me and pinned me to a wall. But before he could do anything he was pulled away from me and he landed with a stake in his heart. I looked at the temporarily dead hybrid and started to hyperventilate, I looked around for the person who saved me and saw Elijah standing there. He ran towards me and searched me over for any bites, "Elena, are you okay?" He panicked.
I breathed heavier and instead of answering him I threw my arms around his shoulders and cried into his shoulder, he hugged me back equally as tight and I could hear him trying to assure me that I was going to be okay.
"How did you know?" I asked when I pulled away.
"I heard you scream when he pushed you," he replied softly.
I smiled faintly and said, "Elijah, can you take me home?"
"Of course," he replied with a smile.
He walked me to his car and opened the door for me, I thanked him and got in. He then quickly walked over to his side and got in, he rubbed his hands together to warm them up from the cold and then started the engine. Neither of us spoke on the journey back to my house, we had nothing to talk about and if we did, it would probably just turn into an argument. When he pulled up in front of my house he got out and sped to my door and opened it for me, I thanked him and got out. He walked me up to my front door and I turned around to face him.
"Thank you for helping me," I said.
He nodded and then I thanked him for driving me home.
"Good night, Elena." He said.
"Good night, Elijah." I replied.
We both smiled faintly and then he walked back down to his car, I watched him as he got into his car and drove off. All the feelings I had for Elijah came rushing back to me when I saw him drive off, it's not like I fell out of love with him, I was just trying to keep them hidden. They were tearing me apart inside and all I wanted to do was run after him and kiss him.
When I got inside Ric ran to me and asked where I had been.
"I went to the Grill for a bit," I replied.
"Rebekah and Klaus came looking for you and then when I went to get you, you weren't there?"
"Yeah, I only planned on going for a walk,"
He looked at me as if he didn't know whether to believe me or not, but he eventually nodded. I said goodnight and walked up to my room, I switched my light switch on and saw Kol sitting on my bed. I gasped and held my chest.
"Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" I said quietly, as I closed my door.
He chuckled and stood up, "Elena, we need to talk," he said softly.
I nodded and we both sat down on my bed, "What's up?" I asked.
"I am only telling you this because I have to," he began. "Katherine's dead. Elijah killed her last night, she was pretending to be you and Elijah knew it, so he ripped out her heart,"
I stared at him for a while trying to form words. "He killed her?" I asked finally.
"Yep," he replied.
I smiled faintly and he playfully rolled his eyes. I giggled and my smile grew bigger afterwards, but then our eyes locked. Neither of us were able to look away and Kol started to slowly lean closer, before I even knew what I was doing I also leant closer. Our lips were barely 3 cm apart and then I heard my phone ring, he sighed and I leant back. I stood up to get my phone from my table and saw it was Elijah.
"Elijah, what's up?" I said quickly.
"Is Kol with you?" He asked.
I turned to my bed and saw Kol wasn't there, "No he's not," I replied.
"Okay thank you, but if you see him could you give him a message please?"
"Sure,"
"Could you please tell him that Niklaus is very angry with him and he should not return home for a few days, just to insure his safety."
"Of course. But what's he done?"
"I am not completely sure, but Niklaus isn't acting rationally about it,"
"Okay, I'll tell him if I see him,"
"Thank you, Elena."
"It's okay."
We stayed on the phone in silence for another minute before we ended the call, I quickly looked around my house to see if Kol was there but when he was nowhere to be found I took out my phone and rang him.
"Miss me already?" He asked when he answered his phone.
"Kol, where are you?" I asked quickly.
"Near my house, why?"
"Come back here, quickly."
"Why?"
"Klaus is mad with you about something and Elijah thinks it would be best if you didn't go home for a while, just so he doesn't hurt you,"
He didn't reply for a while but when he finally did, he said, "I think I should know what I've done first. Don't you?"
"Don't be stupid, Kol. Just come here?"
"I will, but first I want to see my brother," and with that he ended the call.
"For gods sake," I muttered before picking up my coat and walking out of my room.
I saw Ric downstairs and I told him that I needed to see Rebekah. He nodded and I quickly left the house and went to my car, I got in and quickly drove off to The Mikaelson Mansion. I needed to stop whatever Klaus was planning to do to Kol and I also desperately needed to speak to Elijah about Katherine, I knew what Kol had said about him killing her because she pretended to be me, but something told me that it wasn't true and there was another motive behind it. And I needed to speak to Klaus about the hybrids he had created and how he needs to teach a specific one a lesson.