Chapter 44

Days pass by which then becomes weeks, we go about our normal routines school, sports, and parties – a lot more parities. Let me tell you the gods surely did not take away Grey's love for alcohol nor his ability to throw a wild rager. That's for sure. Nothing changes yet everything changes. I hang out alongside Annie with the gents as though we all had been friends forever. The goddess sure didn't take away my match making abilities because Aiden finally asked out Annie, and they have been smitten ever since. What can I say except well, you're welcome. Olivier's always studying per usual. Even though without any additional intellectual aid from the gods, he still manages to be at the top of his class. To the gents approval, he finally broke up with Ellie who was way too controlling and snobby for all of us to handle. Henri is still the same quiet and mysterious boy that I knew before. He surprises me with poise and how acquainted he is with politics and business.

The boys basketball team still stands high in ranking though their triumphs are not such easy feats. Their natural athleticism though apparent is not at the same level as before. Their ability to get into fights with the referees over poor calls has reached an all-time high though and their competitiveness has only gone through the roof.

The boys still claim hold to whatever throne they have always been seated upon thanks to your classic teenage cliques and long-established hierarchical popularity. Yet, they just seem like your average teenage boys to me now. I wonder if that is because I know they lost their magical powers or because I stopped elevating them in my own mind. Sadly, I think it has more to do with the ladder.

We are hanging out one afternoon at Grey's house chilling by the pool though it's too cold to actually swim. Grey's making sketches his obsession for Egyptian mythological still unaffected after all that we endured. Actually, it appears as though it's even increased, especially as he awaits the arrival of his parents back to the U.K. at the end of this next month. Henri and Olivier are having some political debate that I am not knowledgeable enough to understand nor do I want to. Annie's sitting on Aiden's lap on a chair whispering something in his ear that makes him throw back his head into a fit of laughter. I sit next to Finley, his arm around me as I sit there leaning into his chest.

"So, if the gods and goddesses were banished, maybe into the duat or whatever otherworld, then who's to say there aren't any more gods and goddess in other worlds? How do you know there aren't other worlds out there."

"So, you think there's more universes out there," I ask, trying to make sense of Grey's crazy thought process.

"No like there's more than just universes. Like think of it as realms. What if it's like these realms and universes are like stacked on top of one another like you walk out the door of one world and into another. You know how a floor sits atop of another ceiling and how rooms share walls, it's like that but with other worlds," he goes on enthralled with the possibility of the unknown. He has lost me though, and I would rather not know that. I have had enough with myths and magic for a lifetime and would rather not discover any more than need be. Instead I just shake my head at Grey in disapproval not wanting him to think I approve of whatever schemes he has in mind.

-----

"Ready?" Finley asks standing up from where we were seated. I take his hand in mind. We say our goodbyes to the rest of the gents before making our exit. I run up to Finley's car sliding right in as though we've done this forever.

"You know I'm always ready for whatever as long as it's with you" I say smiling widely up at him. He puts the car in drive, and there we go.

"Gonna play a good song for me California," he says rolling down the front windows.

I take the aux cord from his hand to play our favorite music as though the lyrics and melody could better explain us than we could.

"Gold, when you see me. Hi if you need me. Babe, that's the way it was that's the history" I sing at the top of my lungs. We're roaring down these country backroads, the sunny shining, and my hair blowing in the window. He has his right hand on the steering wheel and his left hand hanging out his window. I flash him a big smile and burst into laughter.

We pull over into this gravel lot. He opens the door for me and gives me a hand to help me out of the car. He then pulls me closer into a sweet simple kiss. He tucks my hair that has fallen to the side behind my ear and gives me this perfect smile.

"California, I think I have fallen for you" he smiles down at me holding my hand in his.

"Are you saying that as Finley or Osiris?" I tease.

"as Finley Collins" he says "I, Finley Collins have fallen for you Mrs. Ray Cassidy. I remember when I first laid eyes on you," he can't help but smile giddily as he looks down at me. "You were wearing all blue that first day of class. You looked as though you were heaven-sent. God must have answered my prayers when you sat next to me in that first class. You not only physically saved me," and I laugh giving him a nudge, "but you saved me from myself. You see the whole me -broken parts and all, and still make me feel worthy."

Finley then reaches out and pulls out this ring. It was the one that had caught my eye back in the bazaar. It was a thin twisted vine ring with a pear-shaped diamond ring in the center.

"How?"

"I stole this back in the market-place – while rightfully so after that merchant tried to kill us, so I think it's a fair trade," and I just laugh. "I want you to have it. When I look at it, it reminds me of your strength and your ability to love so well. I want you to wear it and remind yourself that too – that truth about yourself. That you are needed by me and our friends, and your strength and love is what held us together even when everything was broken and falling apart."

I blink back the tears that had begun to form in my eyes.

"I love you," I let out completely undone by him.

"I love you always." He says coupling my neck in his hands as he reaches down to kiss me gently then with more force. The sun was setting out along the horizon. I knew Grey wanted to understand the beyond. That he was searching for other worlds – more mythological and fantasy worlds where magic could be yielded, and infinite powers summoned. But here with Finley, I had no need to search for what was in that beyond for there was no way that anything could be better than what stood ahead of me. I no longer needed or desired a fantasy world for my dreams to be staged, for my reality was wondrous enough. I had everything I needed here, and I think Finley might be my beyond.