Chapter 7

Monday morning comes around sooner than I'd like, but I guess that is always how it works. We have our first lab in biology class, which is pretty much learning how to use the microscopes and look at cultures under them. I honestly am quite terrible at using them because I am never exactly sure what objective lens to use and how to properly adjust the focus in order to see anything besides a blurry image.

"You want help California," Finley asks. I step aside letting him go to work. I cannot help but stare as he stands there bent over studying the microscope. His back muscles contracting through his polo as he carefully adjusts the knobs and moves the slide into place. "There," he declares, giving me a clever grin as he slowly runs his hand through his sleek caramel brown hair. I cannot help but wonder if his looks were his own or if whatever Egyptian god was at work with him had not just blessed him with some brute strength and ability, but also crowned him with additional beauty.

"Thanks," I say as he moves out of the way to get a look at our slide housing some microorganisms. We continue to work through the lab questions as my thoughts try to make sense of everything that has happened these past days. Finley did not even acknowledge what happened this weekend as though it was something, I had hallucinated it all together. Did he not want me to bring it up because he did not like talking about it, or did he not want to bring it up with me? I felt as though I had invaded into this secret the gents had enjoyed between themselves. A foreigner encroaching on their territory.

As we were turning to leave the classroom, Finley turns to me and asks, "what is running through your mind?"

I bite on my lower lip hoping that my facial expression does not expose where my thoughts truly lingered. You and your friends I thought to myself. But I refused to admit that they have taken so much thought and space in my mind. I refused to inflate their egos anymore nor wanted them to think that I too would be groveling at whatever throne they seemed to be sitting upon here.

"Oh nothing," my voice barely a whisper through the air.

"If you want to talk about it or anything, you can talk to me," he whispers to me softly seeming to be with genuine concern or was his charm indeed deceiving me?

"Thanks," I respond flatly, trying not to sound too interested or surprised by his offer. The rest of my classes go by quickly, though I find my thoughts continuously wondering. Flashing backs to the museum. Unable to forget those guttural voices stealing control of the boys' bodies. That goddess then taking control of my own. That conniving thief. Stealing my voice. Stealing my body. Using me. I had so much disgust for her. I found myself scribbling, get out, get out, over and over hoping she would take the hint for I knew she was down there lingering within me - waiting for the right moment to seize full control. I shift through my thoughts until lunch.

To my dismay, I am summoned to eat lunch with the gents. They include me in their conversations keeping it light and playful. Despite their invitation, I feel as though I am intruding – infringing upon whatever hierarchy and dynamic they have already established. They must have been guilted into including me for Olivier's sake or maybe my own for my lack of friendships elsewhere. Maybe they thought they were granting me a favor for association with their popularity, though who is to say. The rest of day goes by fast as I spent the majority of my focus on the incomprehension running rampant in my mind instead of my actual studies.

That afternoon I head to my first basketball practice. Coach sets us up with basic drills to run. When it ends with a full court scrimmage. I slept all weekend, yet I still feel tired and agitated. Not tired in the sense of physically tired, but just drained mentally. I go to do a layup and when I come down, I practically land on Kate the leader of the British barbies. They are practicing cheers on the sideline except they apparently don't understand the term sideline for they seem to encroach upon our teams' territory . I bump into another girl, and I am struggling to hold back my frustration. After practice, I am grabbing my stuff as the sideline cheerleaders are conversing with the boy's teams that have begun to stretch for their practice. Something inside me cannot help but want to throttle those cheerleaders for their annoyingness. What is the purpose of them? They just were always in the way.